Batch redirecting 10,000 urls from imported WordPress blog articles.

Solved
johnhutch
Tourist
3 0 3

Hey there, folks!

Got a weird one. Maybe. A client is consolidating properties and would like to run their blog from their Shopify store. This means importing about 10,000 blog posts (they've been at it for a while). We've got the export/import handled quite nicely, but the redirects (gotta maintain that SEO/page rank) are giving me anxiety. Here's the deal:

on wordpress: site.com/this-is-the-blog-article-title

on shopify: site.com/blogs/blog/this-is-the-blog-article-title

All those backlinks and all that page rank these articles have built up over time will be lost if we don't set up some 301 redirects. Are batch redirect tools really our only optoin? Sure we can create a csv, find/replace all 10,000 lines, and import them into shopify, but that seems... gross. Ordinarily, we'd handle this via an .htaccess edit or a cloudflare rule, but does anyone know of any equivalent way to set up "rules" within shopify?

Thanks much for any help you can offer!

0 Likes
KieranR
Shopify Partner
133 10 35

This is an accepted solution.

Yup it's gross. But it's the way for now, sadly.

Technically, there is a way to use CloudFlare on Shopify. First you'll need Enterprise $$$$ CF plan with grey cloud (DNS only), then can request "orange cloud" via CF support to turn on their edge-CDN-proxy magic. Then you can config some standard Worker or Page Rule based stuff in admin. https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/203464660-Using-Cloudflare-with-Shopify

Another option (depending on budget and how complex you want to make this) is that you setup /blog/ as a reverse-proxy WordPress site via CF and essentially replace Shopifys blog with Wordpress in a subfolder.

Trade-offs to every option. But IMO easier/quicker to do exactly what you've suggested. CF stuff gets technical, and expensive pretty quickly. Kinda overkill for something like this.

Are you using Excelify for the bulks? 

Edit: oh also there are apps like Easy Redirects and Redirectify that have some kind of "rule based" stuff. But my understanding is that they still need to output these as 1-to-1 redirects on the back (maybe doing it by detecting 404 hits and if/then creating a 301). So you might as well be famil with manual/bulk methods anyway.

A self defined Shopify SEO "expert". Sometimes I freelance outside the 9-5
johnhutch
Tourist
3 0 3

Yep, we're using excelify! Works pretty shockingly well, really. Though the test says it's gonna take over 8 hours to run the import. Fun!

Renars
Shopify Partner
79 13 71

Hey @johnhutch and @KieranR 

Amazing to hear that you are already using Excelify.

When following our WordPress to Shopify Posts and Pages migration tutorial the app would indeed create redirects to the new Shopify URL construction, so this should be automatically solved for you.
Once you switch the domain over to Shopify, any customer visiting the old construction URL should be redirected to the same page in Shopify constructed URL.

If you have any more questions or issues, please let me know here or contact us directly.

Excelify.io | Bulk Import Export Update with Excel | https://apps.shopify.com/excel-export-import | https://excelify.io
johnhutch
Tourist
3 0 3

whoah, how the hell did we miss this feature, @Renars?! This is huge, thank you!

KieranR
Shopify Partner
133 10 35

Oooh yeah that's a much nicer way. Somehow missed this too even though I've run a few wp blog imports and probably even used that before lol

A self defined Shopify SEO "expert". Sometimes I freelance outside the 9-5
0 Likes