Best Method For Fraction Input On Product Page?

Highlighted
2 0 0

Good afternoon all!

I'd like to sell a product that is sold in foot and inch increments. An example would be:

When buying five pieces of metal that's cut-to-length, a value is given by the customer in either foot/inch increments (3'6-1/2") or in all inch increments (42-1/2"). The quantity is selected as five, and the "add to cart" button is pressed.

From a pricing perspective, I would guess that the shortest available length is my base price, with the price increasing based on any longer length requested.

Is there a recommended method for achieving this on the product page?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
571 67 92

If the increments are finite and standard you can add them as variant and price them

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0

@Propero, thank you for taking the time to respond.  The increments would be every 1/16".  If I offered a minimum length of 3' and a maximum length of 12', that would be 144 different variants.  Is there a more compact way of doing this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2294 116 353

@drumsy wrote:

The increments would be every 1/16".  If I offered a minimum length of 3' and a maximum length of 12', that would be 144 different variants.  Is there a more compact way of doing this

1. Change either the increment, or the minimums and maximums to bound to a 100 variant limit  increment = ~1/11th ,  min&max ~6.25'. that 1/11th is ewww though 1/10 or 1/8 for sanity.
  2. A single 1/16" product 144 times with checks on minimums and maximums qty's.
  3. Or two products, since there is a 100 variant limit use that fact to do a sleight of hand switch on the front end when they need a measure over 100 units.
  4. Two products, where one is a whole number and the other is the fraction 
  5. Two variants on the same product, where one is a whole number and the other is the fraction (not two options, 1 option = "measure") and lengths are by quantity similar to #1
  6. Or 144 separate unique products
  7. Hidden super bad idea jutsu - A single 12' product and use discount codes to lower the price to the measurement better have A+ process handling or your gonna ship incorrect orders.

#2 & #4, & #5 use the quantity added to the cart to dictate the length

Most need front end customizations to make it seamless , and some need apps|services to keep inventory in sync if tracked.

Shopify architecture does not favor items sold by the measure, more so for fractional.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
0 Likes