Best way to fire off account activation email after the purchase of a specific product?

5 0 0

For added clarification:

1. Accounts are optional

2. Would prefer a simple, free way to do it

3. I'm open to a hack, for example coding something in Google Sheets

Thanks!

Edit: when do these emails actually get sent out? Or are they always manual? As usual, Shopify offers no clarification.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
236 28 41

Hey, @mrdanielschwarz!

Lulu here from the Shopify Support team. Thanks for reaching out here, and I'll be more than happy to help you out.

Since you have set customer accounts to optional, then you can send customers direct invitations to encourage them to activate an account. They'll receive an email prompting them to create their own password. You can generate customer account invite emails individually, or in bulk. The only way to send them in bulk is to use an app. There are no free apps for this at the moment but I did find this one that isn't too expensive that will help. Otherwise, to do it free, you can send them individually which suits if you don't get too many account creations a day. 

Steps to send individual invites:

1. From your Shopify admin, click Customers.

2. Click the name of the customer that you want to invite.

3. Click Send account invite.

4. You can change your Account invite notification email by changing details in the 'Send account invite' window. If you want to make permanent changes to your Account invite notification email, then you will need to update the notification before sending the account invite email.

I understand you would like to be able to send off the email after every account created automatically and I do think this is a great feature so I will pop it through as a feature request to our product team. At Shopify, we pride ourselves on the continued growth and development of our platform, and we are only able to strive towards this goal with feedback and comments from merchants just like you. There is never a guarantee that a request will get a green light, or make it to a product launch, but thank you for your suggestion, as I’m sure you’re not the only merchant with this request.

I hope this helps but if you need anything else please let me know. 

Kind regards,

Lulu

Lulu | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Lulu, thanks for the response!

Yes, unfortunately it does need to be automatic. I'm not open to buying an app since it's an incredibly primitive feature that anyone would expect Shopify to have as part of their base offering. I'm quite shocked that it isn't, to be honest. It renders the creating an account functionality completely useless.

I'll try to find a way to do this programatically using webhooks or the API.

To be honest, I won't be holding my breath on this becoming a feature. Shopify only cares about pushing apps = more revenue.

0 Likes