How can I display collection names in Brooklyn theme breadcrumbs?

Zebgoo
Tourist
5 0 0

Hello, I'm using the Brooklyn theme and I just implemented breadcrumbs in my code as the shopify tutorial shows it. But the problem is that on my page it shows Home>Product but the product is in a collection and I would like that the specific collection shows in the breadcrumbs like Home>Collection1>Product1.

Could you help me please?

Replies 6 (6)

r8r
Shopify Expert
2555 327 940

Hi @Zebgoo 

you're talking about the scenario, where you're on a product detail page, correct? Have you seen this implemented before?

The main issue with this logic is, that Shopify cannot really provide a 1:1 collection-context on the products detail page. The reason is, that a product could be listed in 0…n different collections. How would the breadcrumbs know, which one to display in the breadcrumb-list?

I hope this helps!
Mario

★ Ja, man kann mich buchen; schreib mir eine Nachricht!
★ Hinterlass gerne ein Like und markiere meine Antwort gegebenenfalls als Lösung. Ich freue ich mich immer über eine Spende an die (Kinder)krebshilfe oder eine kleine Aufmerksamkeit.
Studio Mitte
Zebgoo
Tourist
5 0 0

Sure I got the problem of which collection the breadcrumbs must choose, but is there a way I could define the specific collection for it? How others websites like walmart on the photo or many ohers have done it? 

Thanks!

IMG_20210107_205218.jpg

r8r
Shopify Expert
2555 327 940

Alright – let me rephrase that … Have you seen this implemented in Shopify before? XD🙂

Of course this breadcrumb logic can be implemented, if there is a hierarchical context for the taxonomy available on the product page. I don't see how this could be done reliably in Shopify.

Mario

★ Hinterlass gerne ein Like und markiere meine Antwort gegebenenfalls als Lösung. Ich freue ich mich immer über eine Spende an die (Kinder)krebshilfe oder eine kleine Aufmerksamkeit.
Studio Mitte
r8r
Shopify Expert
2555 327 940

@Zebgoo i was referring to native Shopify – of course one could implement their own logic, where you manually set the "main" collection for each product (for instance as a meta field).

Mario

Studio Mitte
JanneR
Visitor
1 0 0

Depending on the implementation, the main navigation can be easily used to create a breadcrumb.

Here's an example from our store. I can't remember where I found the solution originally.

{%- unless template == 'index' or template == 'cart' -%}
<nav class="breadcrumb" role="navigation" aria-label="breadcrumbs">
  <a href="/" title="Koti" rel="">Koti</a>
  {% for link in linklists.main-menu.links %}
    {% if link.child_active or link.active %}
    <span aria-hidden="true">&rsaquo;</span>
      <a href="{{ link.url }}" title="{{ gclink.title | escape }} ">
      {{ link.title | escape }}  
      </a>
      {% for clink in link.links %}
        {% if clink.child_active or clink.active %}
          <a href="{{ clink.url }}" title="{{ gclink.title | escape }} ">
          {{ clink.title | escape }} 
          </a>
          {% for gclink in clink.links %}
            {% if gclink.child_active or gclink.active %}
              <a href="{{ gclink.url }}" title="{{ gclink.title | escape }} ">
              {{ gclink.title | escape }} 
              </a>
            {% endif %}
          {%- endfor -%}
        {% endif %}
      {%- endfor -%}
    {% endif %}
  {%- endfor -%}
              <a href="/{{ collection.url }}/{{ product.url }}" title="{{ product.title | escape }} ">
              {{ product.title | escape }}
              </a>
</nav>
{%- endunless -%}

r8r
Shopify Expert
2555 327 940

That would be one way to go about it, however, the OP was talking about the collection context – that doesn't necessarily go along the lines of how the navigation is configured …

Studio Mitte