CSV File Import says "products already exist and were ignored

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi, I imported a product CSV file and have been advised it is now complete. The email also says "100 products already exist and were ignored" But when i look on my inventory these products are not listed. The ignored lines have the following explanation "can not manually add product to smart collection". Can someone suggest how I can remedy this situation? Thanks Paul Watson

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1636 99 357

Hey, @PaulWatson1!

The wording is a bit misleading; however, in order to resolve the issue, it will require fixing the errors that appear. Based on the error, it sounds like you are trying to add products to an "automatic" collection instead of a "manual" collection. Products can only be added to an "automatic" collection automatically via the conditions created for the collection which means you can not manually add products to the collection via CSV, or otherwise. There are a few routes you could take to resolve this: 

1. Remove the collection name from the collection column. From there, ensure the products meet the requirements of the automatic collection you're trying to add it to 
  2. Delete the automatic collection, and recreate it as a manual collection, then try importing the CSV 
  3. Create a new manual collection for the products and update the CSV file with the name. 

We have further information on working with CSV's in our help centre here

Let me know if you have any questions!

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes