Can I set up a 301 redirect away from my Shopify store to my Wordpress website?

oktoberdesign
4 0 0

Hi There -

We use the shopify "bones" for our ecommerce engine, but our main website uses buy buttons for puchasing.  I'm interested in setting up a redirect away from our shopify URL to our actual website.  How can I do this?

Replies 7 (7)

r8r
Shopify Expert
2555 327 940

I don’t understand what you’re asking. Are you trying to use headless Shopify with WordPress?

★ Ja, man kann mich buchen; schreib mir eine Nachricht!
★ Hinterlass gerne ein Like und markiere meine Antwort gegebenenfalls als Lösung. Ich freue ich mich immer über eine Spende an die (Kinder)krebshilfe oder eine kleine Aufmerksamkeit.
Studio Mitte
oktoberdesign
4 0 0

Does "Headless" mean no shopify store?  Because yes.

Edit:  I would like to use the "buy button" functionality on my Wordpress store, but I do not want to have a Shopify "storefront" website.

r8r
Shopify Expert
2555 327 940

Hi,

what should happen next, after someone hits "buy now" on your website?

Mario

★ Hinterlass gerne ein Like und markiere meine Antwort gegebenenfalls als Lösung. Ich freue ich mich immer über eine Spende an die (Kinder)krebshilfe oder eine kleine Aufmerksamkeit.
Studio Mitte
oktoberdesign
4 0 0

I'd like the experience to be exactly the same as it is currently.  Just an online store transaction.  After someone clicks "buy now" they will go through the purchasing process normally. 

I purely want to hide my "Shopify" storefront so traffic stops landing there by mistake.

r8r
Shopify Expert
2555 327 940

I would very much advise against that. You can only have Shopify OR your website run under your domain name – not both. While you could mess with the redirects and maybe even push people using Javascript from the Shopify UI to your website, this approach sounds very very messy. I personally would be very suspicious too, if that's what a shop behaves like.

What is the main Shopify-feature, that makes you not want to go another route altogether?

I would suggest one of the following options:

Mario

Studio Mitte
oktoberdesign
4 0 0

I currently have two domains.  Is headless Shopify the only way to consolidate to my Wordpress?  Even "hiding" the storefront from the SRP on search engines would do the trick.

canseamer.myshopify.com

oktoberdesign.com

r8r
Shopify Expert
2555 327 940

Hi,

if you really „only“ need to sell through an existing WordPress site: habe you had a look at WooCommerce? I know this is Shopify turf and I’m not trying to drive away clients, but really, approaching this from your merchant view – if your requirements are a WordPress integrated ecommerce solution: that already exists. Maybe even a simple „buy now“ button from PayPal (or any other similar service) would be enough for your use case?

Integrating it can be done with rather moderate resources. Building a headless Shopify integration would be a whole other magnitude of project. 

Either way - we have experience with all of these solutions, just in case if you want some help or advice. 

Mario

Studio Mitte