Cart Permalink without shopify storefront?

oponn
Excursionist
21 0 6

Right now I am using an external website that I built, and I want to use Shopify to manage my shop items. I would be fine with having shopify manage the entire checkout experience, so I was testing the shopify cart permalink.

What I found was that as far as I can tell, if I permalink an item that is in stock but not available on the sales channel for the shopify store front, I can't use the cart permalink because it says it is out of stock. 

Perhaps I missed something, so

1) Could someone confirm if this is the case and

2) Are there proposed solutions for this? Is it possible to do the checkout process entirely through API calls? Thanks

Replies 4 (4)

JHKCreate
Shopify Expert
3571 639 916

Hi @oponn 

Why don't you use the following Shopify feature? Creating a Buy Button · Shopify Help Center

It would avoid a lot of complications as this is something Shopify has already solved.

Let me know

Did we solve your issue? Like & Mark As Solution to help the community
Should you need any direct help: contact@jhkcreate.com

Learn more about us: jhkcreate.com
oponn
Excursionist
21 0 6

Because I still want the cart feature I suppose. Having a storefront is not the end of the world –– but I want to understand how far things extend for programmers without a storefront. Thanks!

JHKCreate
Shopify Expert
3571 639 916

It will keep the cart feature on the website itself, the user can keep adding to cart then checking out without leaving the website. Not sure what you mean on that front.

Did we solve your issue? Like & Mark As Solution to help the community
Should you need any direct help: contact@jhkcreate.com

Learn more about us: jhkcreate.com
oponn
Excursionist
21 0 6

Oh I see. That is indeed a detail that I'd missed, so I will mark that as a solution if nothing else develops. That being said, my intention was understand how API and cart permalink options interacted with the presence of storefront sales channel, so I was wondering if there was anything determinate concerning that. The button sounds like it would work fine, but it seems a little inflexible. Thanks!