Solved

How can I fix the cart error message on my ecommerce site?

Blispy
Tourist
5 0 1

I am hoping someone can help me figure out how to fix my problem. I have been testing my site to make sure everything works properly before I launch. I was trying to figure out how to add a free gift with purchase so I tried a couple apps that were suggested on here but none of them seemed to give me what I wanted so I removed the apps(Active Cart, Bold Sales Motivator and another one that I am forgetting). Now when I go to add a product to my cart and then try and remove it or change the quantity it gives me an error message that says "There was an error while updating your cart. Please try again." I am hoping someone has figured out how to fix this. Any help is appreciated. 

Thank you!

Accepted Solution (1)

Don
Shopify Staff
2765 199 388

This is an accepted solution.

Hi there @Blispy!

Don here from Shopify.

If you have added apps like this to your store and notice some issues like this after removing them, it is quite likely that these apps added some code to your store's theme that would need to be removed.

You can try reverting any changes made to the code of .liquid files by these apps in the Online store > Themes > Actions > Edit code menu.

Near the top of any file you have edited there you will see a drop-down titled 'Older versions' that you can click on to roll back any changes made to that file as shown:

_20-06-ykbnx-txtag

You can also get support with this by contacting the developers of the third-party apps in question, who will be able to help out with finding and removing this code for you.

I had a look for the Active Cart app you mentioned as well as the Bold Sales Motivator one if you want to reach out to their developers for support, you can use the contact details listed there on the app store pages. 

This should help you to remove any leftover code and resolve the issue you mentioned here.

Are you still getting set up with your Shopify store or have you been selling already?

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 6 (6)

Don
Shopify Staff
2765 199 388

This is an accepted solution.

Hi there @Blispy!

Don here from Shopify.

If you have added apps like this to your store and notice some issues like this after removing them, it is quite likely that these apps added some code to your store's theme that would need to be removed.

You can try reverting any changes made to the code of .liquid files by these apps in the Online store > Themes > Actions > Edit code menu.

Near the top of any file you have edited there you will see a drop-down titled 'Older versions' that you can click on to roll back any changes made to that file as shown:

_20-06-ykbnx-txtag

You can also get support with this by contacting the developers of the third-party apps in question, who will be able to help out with finding and removing this code for you.

I had a look for the Active Cart app you mentioned as well as the Bold Sales Motivator one if you want to reach out to their developers for support, you can use the contact details listed there on the app store pages. 

This should help you to remove any leftover code and resolve the issue you mentioned here.

Are you still getting set up with your Shopify store or have you been selling already?

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Blispy
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi @Don

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I did what you suggested and switched the code back to the older version and that fixed the problem. Thank you so much! I have not been selling yet. I am just checking to make sure every aspect of my website is functioning properly before I launch my site. I hope to be launching this next week. Thanks again for your help!

Lisa @Blispy

www.blispy.com

NagoyaDev
Excursionist
26 1 1

This thread is a bit old now but I thought I'd share something I learned.

I am currently developing an app for a customer and it involves having to calculate a price based on certain criteria and then create a variation of that item with the calculated price via API request from the frontend of the store and then add that newly created item to the cart.

After the item was pushed to the cart I experienced the same issue as you. If I changed the item quantity or deleted an item from the cart, it would display an error saying there was some error in the cart. I would then have to refresh the page and the changes would appear. 

My solution ended up being to just comment out that error message in the cart-template.liquid file(I'm using the debut template).

<div class="cart__error-message-wrapper hide" role="alert" data-cart-error-message-wrapper>
                <span class="visually-hidden">{{ 'general.accessibility.error' | t }} </span>
                {% include 'icon-error' %}
                <span class="cart__error-message" data-cart-error-message></span>
              </div>

After I commented that out, the cart would reload fine if I changed quantities or deleted items. Maybe not the best solution but could work in a pinch if necessary.

NagoyaDev
Excursionist
26 1 1

**UPDATE ON MY COMMENT ABOVE**

This actually did not work for me and I wouldn't recommend it. I followed the instructions and reset my cart page to its original state before adding any apps and it works like a charm now!

Turns out that a Bold products app that I installed and uninstalled was messing with things.

TakiPets
Visitor
2 0 0

If you're on Dawn 2.0, here's the solution - look for main-cart-footer.liquid
locate <div id="cart-errors"></div>

replace with <span class="visually-hidden"><div id="cart-errors"></div></span>

thinkhealthy
Visitor
2 0 0

HI can you please assist me