Change Customer Locale

Vonpratzen
Excursionist
15 0 3

Unfortunately, the wrong language for the abandoned cart e-mail template is chosen for a visitor of the site. How can I change the locale associated with the customer so that the system chooses the correct language for e-mails? 

Thanks

0 Likes
BBBBBruce
Tourist
3 0 0

This is important for me too.  The store was released in one language.  Now I have added a translation.  Existing customers want to receive emails and notifications in the new language, but since they made a purchase in the original language, their customer_locale is stuck in the original language.  

Please let me know how the customer_locale property can be corrected/updated.

0 Likes
BBBBBruce
Tourist
3 0 0

I reached out to Shopify's customer support team, and after a long discussion with their engineering team, they told me the customer_locale value is set based on the site language of their last registration/checkout.  I was able to confirm this by creating two new accounts, registering with the site set to Japanese and English.  I then went to the Customer Management screen, and confirmed their language setting by filtering the list by specifying "More filters->Customer Language".

What sucks about this is that once a customer_locale is set, the only way they can change that value is by making another purchase.  To get around this problem, I have registered a free digital download product called "Set notification language to [desired language]".  By instructing customers to download this file by setting the site language to the language of their notification choice, customers can update their customer_locale value.

This is a hacky hack, but at least it is the first workaround I have found on this site.  I'd love to hear more elegant solutions if people have one.

- Bruce

0 Likes