How can I change the currency on Shopify after my first purchase?

Giftsopolis
Visitor
1 0 0

how to change currency on shopify if i made my first purchase. Please help with this. My email for more information send me an email on shopdetails1@gmail.com

Kind regards. 

Reply 1 (1)

Ash
Shopify Staff (Retired)
764 88 161

Hey, @Giftsopolis!

Ash here from the Shopify team. Welcome to the Shopify Community! 

I understand you're trying to change the selling currency on your store, but have already made a sale. Before we begin - congratulations on the sale! Once a shop makes its first sale, the currency selector in the Settings > General section of the admin becomes locked for a number of reasons. Our team can remove this lock, but it's important to understand why it's applied in the first place to avoid future issues. The main impacts on your store when changing selling currency are:

• Reporting: When switching currencies, our reporting doesn't factor in the difference between currencies. For example if you had $500 USD processed, that would show as $500 in reports. Say next day you switch to CAD, the report would still read as $500 for previous processing. Since $1 CAD is not equal to $1 USD, the reports in theory will be wrong going forward. A workaround for this is adjusting the date range for the report you're looking at so that it only displays data before or after the currency change. 

• Product Pricing: Since the dollar amount between currencies is not the same, a product price’s value could mean something different if currency is adjusted and impact margins. Ex - $20 CAD, is not equal to $20 USD. Refunds processed after a currency change will also be affected by the currency change. You can edit a product to adjust its pricing, and if you need to make changes to multiple products, the Bulk Editor Tool should be a handy tool. 

• Payment Processing: Some payment gateways are only available for use in certain currencies. It's best to double check what selling currencies your payment gateway supports before proceeding with making changes to this.

• Other: It's also advised to check your site in its entirety for any mentions of the previous selling currency, and updating those accordingly. 

Our team will need to access the back-end of your account to unlock the currency selector, so I've sent you an email to the email address associated with your Shopify Community account for authentication. Once you've decided how you'd like to proceed, please reply back to that email and we can take the next steps together.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.