Changing Themes

GoldenChic
1 0 0

I would like to change from the boundless theme to the Brooklyn theme, but have a few questions, I need help with. Will the apps I have loaded for my shopify store transfer if I publish a new theme or will have to add them again? If I am not happy for some reason with the new theme, can I simply switch back to the old theme without issue?

0 Likes

Hi,

About the app it depends. Some apps don't need any code to be added in your theme file other app yes.

And not all apps are the same when they need to add the code. Some do it automatically when you activate them, other require a manual modification, other will give a warn if you activate a new theme and they don't find their code.

A viable process should be download your theme code, compare with the original version you have before installing any apps and extract the differences and try to apply to the new theme.

Anyway the first thing is I suggest you is to install the new theme and try it in Preview Mode and check what is working and what not.

Don't worry your current theme version will remain untouched and it will be the version that all the user will see until you decide to Publish the new theme.

• If the problem is solved remember to click ✅ to Accept Solution
• Press Like, if the answer was helpful
• Shopify/Shopify Plus custom development, optimization and consulting. You can hire me here.
0 Likes
lml8503
Tourist
3 0 1

I have the same question, if i change my theme will my apps ( mainly my review app) be removed along with my comments, or rather will the comments be removed ? I really want them to stay on there.

0 Likes

@lml8503 wrote:

I have the same question, if i change my theme will my apps ( mainly my review app) be removed along with my comments, or rather will the comments be removed ? I really want them to stay on there.

Hi, when you change the theme, the apps will not be removed from your store and they are still active.

With the apps that works with your backend only, you'll not have any problems, but with the apps that interact with the fronted you can miss some functionalities when you change the theme.

There are different ways for an app to add their features into your theme.

Some Apps inject the needed Javascript autonomously without the need to modify any theme files, but other Apps instead add some code into your theme on activation.

The procedure I describe in my previous post is still valid and you can try to follow that. But if you have many Apps and you are not really into coding or you don't have time to learn, I suggest you to hire a developer to help you in the migration.

• If the problem is solved remember to click ✅ to Accept Solution
• Press Like, if the answer was helpful
• Shopify/Shopify Plus custom development, optimization and consulting. You can hire me here.
0 Likes