Changing currency after first sale

Smartlashesworl
Visitor
3 0 0

Hello.. i have accidentally made my first sale and now i want to change my currency.

Can you please tell me how to change it?

thanks in advance

Replies 3 (3)

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

Hi, @Smartlashesworl,

Hank here from Shopify.

Offering your customers their desired currency is a huge benefit within your store, and normally changing the currency is done within the admin in Settings > General. However, once you have made your first sale, it needs a member of Shopify to assist with this.

That is when we’ll need to access your account in order to assist with this. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Community Forums at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit The Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request. Once logged in, search for a topic to try to assist you with this query, and you will see the option to continue to get to the live support teams below these topics.

Once the team can gain access to your account, they can assist you with changing the currency for your store.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

All the best,

Hank

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

anishgarg
Visitor
1 0 0

Hey, 

I would like to change my currency from INR to USD since my store will be based in the USA, I had it on INR for testing.

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 318

Hi @anishgarg,

Hyde here from Shopify.

You can totally request that your currency be changed by reaching out to our help center so that a member of staff can do that for you. There are a few things you should probably be aware of before making that request:

* Reporting

When changing currencies, our reporting doesn't factor in the difference between currencies. So if you had $500 USD processing, that would show as $500 in reports. Say the next day you switch to CAD, the report would still read as $500 for previous processing. So there's no clarification between currencies if the currency symbol is the same as before and since $1 CAD is not equal to $1 USD, the reports, in theory, will be wrong going forward.

You can, however, set a “date range” for the data they are reviewing, to exclude any transactions that might have been processed in a different currency before the specific date of the currency switch.

* Product Pricing

Since the dollar amount between currencies is not the same, a product price’s value could mean something different if the currency is adjusted and impact your margins. Ex - $20 CAD, is not equal to $20 USD. Refunds processed after a currency change will also be affected by the currency change.

* Apps
Some apps may have limitations when it comes to changing currency. If you need to know if this will affect any of the apps you have listed on your store, you will need to reach out to the app developer directly for more info.
Making any adjustments to your product pricing means that you'll need to consider the currency difference. You will also want to review your product pages, themes, etc for currency information that might need to be adjusted. Note that refunds will be processed in the new currency.

I hope that all helps!

All the best, Hyde.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.