Changing <title> for inner pages. Keyword Cannibalization hurting my homepage.

rocketman787
4 0 0

Hello my <title> in coding I was advised from a friend is hurting my homepage's SEO efforts these past few months.

I was told that a few of my inner pages and to be honest all of my inner pages are causing keyword cannibalization. Causing my google rankings to not stabilize.

Please help me in changing my inner page's <title> keywords for each inner page Or else i may have to delete them so my homepage can start to rank.

Replies 7 (7)

KieranR
Shopify Partner
333 27 116

What do you mean by inner page? 

Full time Shopify SEO guy, based in NZ. Sometimes freelance outside the 9-5.
rocketman787
4 0 0

the <title> applies globally to all my inner pages. Most are simple pages made with the blog feature.  1 or 2 are actual standalone url pages made with "add new page"

KieranR
Shopify Partner
333 27 116

Still not entirely sure what the problem is that you are describing here. But if you are seeing the home page title duplicated to /blog/ and /page/ type pages, then it sounds like maybe the liquid that is inserting the <title> is not quite right for those templates for some reason.

Hard to suggest a fix with an incomplete picture of the effects, and if it is what I think it might be, then would need to look at liquid code as well to see if that is the cause or not. 

Do you have an example of this duplication?

rocketman787
4 0 0
The title applies globally to /blog pages and any other kind of page. I'm
looking to pay PayPal for a quick fix. Just rewrite titles in code for
/blog pages and /pages inner page so no keyword cannibalization. I can't
find any info where inner page code is to change them
KieranR
Shopify Partner
333 27 116

Look in theme.liquid in-between the <title></title> tags. That's the most common place, but not all themes are organized the same.

rocketman787
4 0 0

Thanks but i know this, I'm trying to figure out how to change title for inner pages, theme.liquid title seems to apply globally to all pages created. I need to add code in this to specify otherwise if there are no other ways to change title in possible section or snippets coding not found in theme.liquid for pages that are no homepage etc

KieranR
Shopify Partner
333 27 116

I think what you're referring to as inner pages are akin to page templates in Shopify?

For different page templates, you can use conditionals - very roughly: 

{% if template.name == "product" %}
 <title>product page title logic here</title> 
{% elif template.name == "article" %}
 <title>blog page title logic here</title>
{% endif %}

If it's cleaner you could even use liquid variables, create the logic, and then just include the <title> tag once following the title variable construction and conditional logic etc. 

There is a pretty good amount of string manipulation filters and comparisons available so just do what fits.

Is that what you are meaning?