Changing primary Domain

Derekswands
1 0 0

Hi How do I change my primary name - when setting my site we were told not to worry about site name as we could change it, however changing the name doesn't change the domain name and I want my customers to see mane site name and domain name as the same 

0 Likes
Dirk
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
738 81 168

Hey, @Derekswands 

Are you referring to your ExampleStoreName.myshopify.com URL? If so, this URL is directly attached to your Shopify account and cannot be changed. However, you can always buy/connect a domain such as YourDomain.com and then set that as the primary domain in your Shopify admin. From there, your customers will no longer see the .myshopify.com URL and will only see the new domain that you purchased. It's important to eventually get your own domain such as a .com since it looks more professional and branded to your business. If you do not have your own domain, you can buy one for around $10 for the entire year on Shopify. We have a guide here on how you can buy one within your Shopify admin. Once you have this domain, it can be set as your primary domain. Check out our guide here on how to set it.

I hope that helps! If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
PeterY
1 0 0

Hi @Dirk 

My primary domain expired so I recently added a newly purchased domain ccrled.ca / www.ccrled.ca and changed my primary domain back to the shopify domain ccr-led.myshopify.com. On my Shopify admin page, two of the domains indicate as connected ( the other one SSL pending), but still I can't reach my shop through any of the domains. Screenshot 2020-10-08 112635.png

Could you please check it for me? Thanks a lot. 

Peter

0 Likes
Dirk
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
738 81 168

Hey, @PeterY

I would recommend checking the DNS settings from where your third-party domain is hosted. It's likely that the CNAME and A records are incorrect. You want to ensure that the A record, and CNAME record are replaced to point to Shopify's credentials. We have a guide here that goes over the required A record and CNAME record credentials that you will want to setup.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes