Changing store currency

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello everyone, 

I did not know that the store has the currency set to the payment currency automatically. I thought it is always set to USD. So I set my prices to USD but I was informed that the prices are in CAD after my first sale.  I can't change the store currency now since I made my first sale, the shopify said to contact support to change the store currency but I cant find the shopify email to send them an email.

Does anyone know how to change the store curreny after the first sale ? or does anyone know the support email of shopify that I can contact them ? 

Appreciate the reply. Thank you

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 58 126

Hey, @Mienly-Cart!

I'm Lizzy, one of the Gurus on the support team at Shopify. I just wanted to let you know that I've moved your message from "Feedback on My Store" to "Technical Q&A", just in case any other community members are looking for the same advice in that category!

I'm sorry to hear about the mix up with your currency, but wanted to say congratulations on your first sale! I will be sending you an email so that we can continue to work on changing your currency if you would like to move forward with it.

There are a few reasons why this option is disabled by default, that I will list below:

• Reporting: Our reporting doesn't factor in the difference between currencies. So if you had $500 CAD processed, that would show as $500 in reports. Say you switch to USD, the report would still read as $500 for previous processing. Since $1 CAD is not equal to $1 USD, the reports in theory will be wrong going forward. You can avoid this issue by excluding the dates you made sales in CAD from your reports to see accurate amounts.
  • Product Pricing: This can often be an issue, as changing your store currency will not automatically update your product prices. However, I noticed that you mentioned you priced your products assuming it was USD, so in this case this won't be an issue.
  • Apps: Some apps may have limitations when it comes to changing selling currency. If you are using any apps where this could be an issue I recommend reaching out to the apps directly to confirm how changing your currency might work with their system.
  • Gift Cards: Gift cards with remaining balances in the old selling currency will not work once the selling currency of the store has been changed.

If you would still prefer to change your currency, feel free to respond to my email and we can enable access to change it for you!

I also wanted to share the link with you to our live support teams. On this page here you can connect with our chat support, find our support phone numbers or send in an email.

Now that you've made your first sale, what are your next plans for your store? Are you working on bringing in more customers using an email list, or are you more focused on using external advertising?

Thank you,
Lizzy

Lizzy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Please help me change my currency also, I want items to be quoted in ZAR on the store. Also, Payfast is giving me an error that reads the following:

currency: The currency format is invalid. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 58 126

Hey @Sakhile_Mamba!

I can't speak to why PayFast are giving you an error in terms of your currency. Have you had a chance to reach out to them directly to see what sort of format their gateway requires?

I have, however, sent you an email so that we can start the process for changing your currency. I look forward to hearing back there!

Lizzy

Lizzy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

Hi lizzy can you help me too? My store was initially in AED then I had to change my currency into USD since Paypal doesn't support UAE Dirhams. When i changed my currency to USD all the store prices changed wrongly. For example a necklace worth 1000dhs became 1000 USD but that's wrong, the actual price should be 272 dollars. 

Can you please help me with this. I have over 300 plus products so changing each price manually is very time consuming. 

0 Likes