Clearing cart when users leave

Cervicalix
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a method to clear the cart when users leave my store. The store bring users from product page to checkout, and they never see their cart, sometimes people who is not accostumed to the processes of e-coms, leave the store, come back add the product again (so it's doubled in the checkout) and don't know how to remove them, so they leave.

Is there any way to do that?

Thanks!!

Replies 7 (7)

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

Hi, @Cervicalix.

Sophia here from Shopify. Welcome to the Shopify Community!

I can see how this would be a confusing experience for customers. Carts expire after a session ends, but it sounds like some visitors have come back before the session has ended (a session ends after 30 minutes of no activity by a visitor, and at midnight UTC).

Skipping the cart page isn't something that we recommend, as it takes away the customer's chance to review their order and ensure they're happy with their choices before moving on. It can also give them an opportunity to keep shopping, as well as review any terms and conditions or notes you may need them to consider. That being said, I'm really curious to learn more about your business and why skipping the cart works for you. Is this a one-product store where customers typically only buy one item?

While emptying the cart for the customer would be outside of our support team's scope, I did come across a couple potential coding solutions here in the Shopify Community Forums (here and here). The Cart API reference may also be helpful to you. If you're not comfortable experimenting with the code on your own, I recommend checking out the Shopify Experts Marketplace to find someone who can help you.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Morgan_Stevens
Visitor
1 0 0

hi sophia - for some reason my store never clears the cart and it has an opposite problem that they are able to check out later, but tags that i need from apps in the store are removed since they are essentially by passed... how do i fix that so that i can clear everyone's carts automatically?

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

@Morgan_Stevens wrote:

hi sophia - for some reason my store never clears the cart and it has an opposite problem that they are able to check out later, but tags that i need from apps in the store are removed since they are essentially by passed... how do i fix that so that i can clear everyone's carts automatically?

Hi, @Morgan_Stevens.

Can you tell me a bit more about the apps you're using? The issue sounds like it might require investigation either from our technical support team if the apps are developed by Shopify, or from the app developer for any third-party apps.

TanyaSt
Visitor
3 0 0

Hello. 

Is there a way I can stop the cart clearing after 30minutes for USER ACCOUNTS? Because we are B2B we'd like our customers to be able to add to cart and then checkout during work hours, all add to carts and checkout are only available to customers who have an account with us. 

Please advise, 

Tanya

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

Hi, Tanya!

Are you able to create draft orders for these customers? This will allow you to send an invoice to each customer, which gives them a checkout link they can use when they're ready to purchase.

TanyaSt
Visitor
3 0 0

We could, and do for some clients, but since we have hundreds of products this takes a lot of man power hours our side as we often have about 20 orders per day. 

Also, if a customer logs in on mobile, he wants to be able to go to his desktop to complete his order but he loses his cart (even if its immediately) 

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

Thanks for sharing that additional context! I understand that would be time consuming. I'd like to submit a feature request about this to our developers. Is there anything else you'd like me to add regarding the customer experience and how customers interact with your store?

In the meantime, I wanted to mention that customers who entered an email address at checkout should get an email with a link to their abandoned cart, so customers who started on mobile can continue on desktop once they have that. These emails can be sent either manually or automatically. The automatic emails are set to go out 10 hours later by default, but you can have them sent as soon as 1 hour later if preferred. Would that work for the time being?