Solved

Why is my Shopify collections page not indexable?

kaushaldhwn
Tourist
15 0 1

I have a really big issue in my store and this has to be fixed as soon as possible because it is really effecting my sales.

My Collections page is not indexable I really don't the real reason. All the URLs of my store which have collections in them are not indexable.

Please provide me helpful suggestion. I am really in need.

Regards
Kaushal

Accepted Solutions (3)
Jason
Shopify Expert
11190 225 2282

This is an accepted solution.

If I search google it certainly is aware of that url so it is indexed despite what your tools may say. I'd question why you are using a url with a "1" on the end but at you should feel confident that google can see it.

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 6.04.21 pm.png

★ I jump on these forums in my free time to help and share some insights. Not looking to be hired, and not looking for work. http://freakdesign.com.au ★

View solution in original post

KevinW
Explorer
55 8 71

Hey @kaushaldhwn - @Jason is correct. Your Giant Teddy Bears collection page is indeed indexed in Google, so you really have nothing to worry about. If you disagree, please provide some more screenshots or details so we can help diagnose the issue. 

If I had to guess, your SEO tools are tricking you into believing that it's not indexable because you've been using two different versions of the URL...

/giant-teddy-bears

This URL is the only one that's accessible to users and search engines, so as long as your tools show this one as indexable, you're good.

/giant-teddy-bears-1

This URL currently redirects to the URL above, so it makes sense that it's not indexable.

Going forward, I'd suggest changing your URL handles as little as possible. Even something as simple as adding a -1 can confuse search engines as to which version they should show when people are searching for things like "giant teddy bears for sale." 

Hope this helps!

Kevin Wallner // SEO & Analytics Expert
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution
- Ready to accelerate your SEO growth? Let's chat!

KevinW
Explorer
55 8 71

@kaushaldhwn hmmmm.... I don't think Shopify automatically adds "-1" to URLs. But I could be wrong. If, for example, you already have a collection named "Giant Teddy Bears" and you create another with the exact same name, I can see Shopify adding a "-1" to the end of the second one you created. This is because the URL handle is automatically generated based on the collection name and you can't have two collections with the exact same URL. Either way, the "-1" version is correctly redirecting to the one without it, so you should be good now. Just be careful going forward when you're overriding the default URL handles or creating duplicate collections as both of these actions can affect your URLs.

Replies 11 (11)

Jason
Shopify Expert
11190 225 2282

Do you have an example link to one of your collections that isn't being indexed? Did you get an error from the Google console telling you it can't be indexed, or did you establish this some other way?

★ I jump on these forums in my free time to help and share some insights. Not looking to be hired, and not looking for work. http://freakdesign.com.au ★
kaushaldhwn
Tourist
15 0 1

Thank you for quick response Jason.

I have the URL

https://boobearfactory.com/collections/giant-teddy-bears-1

Google Search Console is showing that my page is indexed successfully.

But I've checked my on-page score and it shows that this page is not indexable.

kaushaldhwn
Tourist
15 0 1

Hello?

Can you please give solutions for this?

I'm really in need.

kaushaldhwn
Tourist
15 0 1

I'm not able to find any solution for this problem. Please help out.

@Jason or any Shopify Expert. This has effected SEO of my website.

Jason
Shopify Expert
11190 225 2282

If I search google it certainly is aware of that url so it is indexed despite what your tools may say. I'd question why you are using a url with a "1" on the end but at you should feel confident that google can see it.

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 6.04.21 pm.png

kaushaldhwn
Tourist
15 0 1

Thank you for replying @Jason 

Google shows is indexed. But I've checked on 2 platforms for my on-page score for this domain. It always gives same result that the following page is not-indexable.

Screenshot (13)_LI.jpg

KevinW
Explorer
55 8 71

Hey @kaushaldhwn - @Jason is correct. Your Giant Teddy Bears collection page is indeed indexed in Google, so you really have nothing to worry about. If you disagree, please provide some more screenshots or details so we can help diagnose the issue. 

If I had to guess, your SEO tools are tricking you into believing that it's not indexable because you've been using two different versions of the URL...

/giant-teddy-bears

This URL is the only one that's accessible to users and search engines, so as long as your tools show this one as indexable, you're good.

/giant-teddy-bears-1

This URL currently redirects to the URL above, so it makes sense that it's not indexable.

Going forward, I'd suggest changing your URL handles as little as possible. Even something as simple as adding a -1 can confuse search engines as to which version they should show when people are searching for things like "giant teddy bears for sale." 

Hope this helps!

kaushaldhwn
Tourist
15 0 1

Hi @KevinW 

Thank you for responding.

I completely agree with you as well as @Jason 

Now my collections page is ranking for my specific keywords.

There were duplicacy in the URL.

Furthermore, can you tell me why Shopify makes duplicate URL automatically?

KevinW
Explorer
55 8 71

@kaushaldhwn hmmmm.... I don't think Shopify automatically adds "-1" to URLs. But I could be wrong. If, for example, you already have a collection named "Giant Teddy Bears" and you create another with the exact same name, I can see Shopify adding a "-1" to the end of the second one you created. This is because the URL handle is automatically generated based on the collection name and you can't have two collections with the exact same URL. Either way, the "-1" version is correctly redirecting to the one without it, so you should be good now. Just be careful going forward when you're overriding the default URL handles or creating duplicate collections as both of these actions can affect your URLs.

kaushaldhwn
Tourist
15 0 1

Actually the URL with -1 was made by me. I made that one because the previous one was not ranking at any place in SERPs and the tool which I am using was showing that the page is not indexable.

There was no other reason for making new page with -1.

Now, as the issue is resolved, thank you so much for helping out @KevinW and @Jason 

Have a good day.

Bik123
Excursionist
31 0 5

Hello @KevinW , thank you for your insights. would you be able to assist me on my query regarding indexing:

https://community.shopify.com/c/technical-q-a/only-home-page-indexed-remaining-pages-discovered-curr...

Thank you!