Collections not letting select conditions

kemmieg
Shopify Partner
40 2 9

When I add a collection set to automated and select Product Tag the condition dropdown only lets me select "is equal to" all the other items are grayed out and unselectable. I need to choose "is not equal" Is there something I'm missing?

Thank you

Replies 17 (17)

Dirk
Shopify Staff
2209 247 502

Hey, @kemmieg 

When it comes to the product tag you are only able to select 'is equal to'. This is the indended behavior of the system. This is because product tags are analyzed as a whole. So conditions such as "contains, greater than, etc" are not applicable to this condition type. This also goes for the condition "is not equal to".

Perhaps you can expand a bit further on exactly what you are trying to filter in/out of your collections so I can suggest a conditions setup that will work for you! 

For example: Let's say you were selling Jeans and offered them in sizes (S, M, L) and color (Red, Blue, Green). Now let's say you wanted to create a collection that only shows your Red Jeans that come in a size small. What you can do is create a collection condition that is set to meet 'All Conditions' instead of 'Any Condition'. Then you can create two Product Tag conditions. One for 'red' and one for 'small'. Then you would tag the products that you want in this collection with a 'small' and 'red' tag. This would create a collection that shows just red jeans that are small. Without the need for a 'does not equal' condition.

Let me know if this helps! If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

kpvw
Shopify Partner
96 3 18

I think our app Advanced Collections - https://apps.shopify.com/advanced-custom-collections - can help, it has the option to include and exclude products based on tags (i.e. equals, starts with, ends with and contains) and other criteria (e.g. exclude if price < compared at price).

Feel free to try it out as there is a 7-day trial 😃

karolyn777
Tourist
5 0 15

is-not-equal-to.jpg

In order to use the "is not equal to" or any of the other greyed out selections, you have to install Shopify's "advanced collection" app for $5.99 a month.  This feels like extortion... because the menu is already there and we SHOULD be able to use it without yet another app.  That's just my 2 cents.. or rather, my $5.99 a month.

</br>

khoff
Explorer
46 0 38

Exactly! this should be built into Shopify. Period. If they can't do it without an app then fine add the app but make it free.  We can't exclude items from promos so I was told to set up a collection with a tag for all my items except that tag. BUT I CAN'T DO THIS. Not without yet another app and more money. And I thought Yahoo stores were bad. 

THAT_GUY
Visitor
1 0 1

Yeah thanks for nothing. Seems that it is specifically apps like yours that prevent BASIC features to be standard. 

deranged
Tourist
4 0 7

We want to be able to make a discount codes for all products, excluding products from a specific collection.

All products in the collection we want to exclude have the same tag, so if it would be possible to exclude specific tags, that would work too.

We see two different options; either to exclude tags / collections when creating the discount codes OR

to create a collection for all products excluding products with that tag, and then make a discount code for this new 'discount collection'.

Seems like none of these are possible, do you see a work-around?

best regards Helena

karolyn777
Tourist
5 0 15
In order for us to be able to do the same type of thing, we had to add
an app called "ADVANCED COLLECTIONS".

I know you're dealing with stuff that's greyed out, probably. This was
the only way around it that I found. Hope it helps!

khoff
Explorer
46 0 38

Only work arounds are more apps and more money out the door. Other carts include these options but not Shopify.

bargains2shop
Visitor
2 0 0

I do have a situation where I have a product type from various vendors & would like to have a collection based on a certain criteria. Unless I have a product type assigned , I end up having for the criteria products with various product types.

a. it would be good to enable the collection conditions and offer flexibility so that I can upfront exclude some tags

OR

b. is there any easy bulk edit option to assign product type ? I have over 300 products and its not an efficient way to do it manually

karolyn777
Tourist
5 0 15

In order to use the "is not equal to" or any of the other greyed out selections, you have to install Shopify's "advanced collection" app for $5.99 a month.  

Let me know if I can be of any help. I understand exactly what you're trying to do. 

JMMSquared
Visitor
1 0 0

Once we download that app, do we need to redo the collections we've set up, or will the options that are currently greyed out, now appear? I downloaded it, but nothing seems to have changed in the main interface, so wondering if I have to start over now? Thanks in advance for any insight here.

karolyn777
Tourist
5 0 15

You have to set up your collections inside the app.  Then those collections will appear under the normal "Collections" page in Shopify.   This app doesn't make the greyed out stuff work.   I wish I had a better answer for you... but it looks like you're going to have to reset the collections where you need the more granular data. 

hotify
Shopify Partner
17 1 12

this ability to use a greater range of conditional logic along with AND/OR should be a platform feature, having to rely on a 3rd party app to provide this basic functionality is not good enough.

please get this into a future release of the platform, it's really not that hard and creates a BUNCH of work/cost to workaround this gap in functionality.

Sparogative
Visitor
1 0 0

It is insane to me that Shopify keeps releasing fancy marketing updates and has had worse-than-rudimentary functionality for collections, filters, search and so many other things for a decade because 'that's the intended use'.    

khoff
Explorer
46 0 38

This should be a built in function. Everything in Shopify requires apps and more money. Other carts give their users this type of thing included.

deranged
Tourist
4 0 7

We ended up making a 'discount' collection with all tags excluding the one collection tag that shouldn't be part of the discount.

Super annoying, as this is obviously a work-around because Shopify is trying to get more money of you, but hey it works anyways :).. 

annassaleem
Visitor
1 0 0

annassaleem_0-1707298934514.png

In my Case we have lots of products on our Store ....

We have a Trending Products section...... and also the 5 sections for many Products like Baby & Tollders ..... so I use two conditions ..... to fullfill our need.... 

1. In trending Product Collection i use condition ( product type is equal to trending) by adding product type behind all those products we want to add in trending section under trending product..

2. now add 2 conditions in all others collections to avoid doubling in products hope you understand what i mean