Compressing images

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
13 0 0

Hi, I've been reading about uploading images to Shopify.

According to this article Shopify compresses images before they are displayed on a site.  So is there a need to run images throught an optimization tool like tinypng prior to uploading them to Shopify?

As there doesn't appear to be a storage limit then it seems an extra step that isn't really needed.

What do other developers do?

Anne

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1807 211 374

There is nothing to worry about, just upload your original images. Shopify is going to optimize them on their end anyways and deliver the images in webp format - https://changelog.shopify.com/posts/online-stores-automatically-serve-webp-images

Sergiu Svinarciuc | CTO @ visely.io
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
- To learn more about the awesome stuff we do head over to visely.io or our blog
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
13 1 2

@Visely-TeamI realize this is several months old, but being new to shopify, like many photographers, image quality, is well, everything. 

The images served on the image sections are nice...but the product sections especially with zoom are really (and quite unexpectedly) terrible.  Like really bad.  I wish it would allow me to compress if it's below a certain pixel size.  Otherwise, what good is it to have great images if they are just...well, going to look bad on products page.

It's funny because we came to Shopify from Squarespace because of shipping and checkout issues were bad over there, but the images were beautiful.  Now it's the reverse!!

Can we serve up from a server or site and make it easier?  What's the best way for getting the images you want in the product pages?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1807 211 374

@meeeee can you share a preview URL to your store as well as an example of a section and a product page? There is not much you can do about how the image optimization works on Shopify side, but maybe there is something about the theme you are using that renders such results?

Sergiu Svinarciuc | CTO @ visely.io
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
- To learn more about the awesome stuff we do head over to visely.io or our blog
0 Likes