Conditional Landing Page / Contact Form

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hello,

What I'm trying to do:
Basically what I want to do is if someone orders something from me from Amazon, I want them to input their order ID in my landing page in order to have a chance a winning a free product. In order to do that, I'll be importing a list of order IDs every day into Shopify and with this landing page/form as they enter it we'll be able to see which orders have already redeemed their IDs and which ones have not.

I'm looking for a way for customers to enter an order ID into a form. Depending on the answer, they will see 3 different landing pages.

1. the order ID matches what we have in our order ID bank and the status is still "confirmed"-> they go to page A
2. the order ID matches what we have in our order ID bank and the status is still "unconfirmed"-> they go to page B
3. the order ID doesn't match what we have in our order ID bank -> they go to page C

So my question is...

Assuming that I have a list of order IDs to cross reference, say 1000 of them,
- where do I store these order IDs for the system to scrap through it when customers enter theirs?
- which form do I use to set up this conditional route?

No idea how to start, I appreciate your time.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1658 48 164

You'd probably have a way easier time trying to make this with wordpress, or using googlesheets&forms,  than you would with shopify if you have zero programming experience or knowledge yet of shopify's systems even if your using the shopify-amazon-channel.

@jordanho234 wrote:

Basically what I want to do is if someone orders something from me from Amazon, I want them to input their order ID in my landing page in order to have a chance a winning a free product....

But why? What is the actual business goal your trying to achieve here? gather emails? get them to have a shopify account?

It's good to ask questions but without building a custom backend for this contrived system you'd have a long way to go using numerous techniques,hacks, and work-arounds to enforce valid information coming from an external source and then conditionally redirecting guests to private pages.

• All of this is over complicated by them not having a customer account on shopify and the order not being placed with that account.
  • To avoid user error you want more than just a string of numbers for order validation 
  • Further never place confidential information in publicly accessible pages
  • With public pages for guests you will need an app to support the submission order-ids to compare to the list of orders.
  • There is no native conditional form routing in shopify, you have to use javascript or certain form attributes that may or may not work with this.
  • Form types are predefined in shopify  https://help.shopify.com/en/themes/liquid/tags/theme-tags#form
  • There is no custom form processing, per se,  such as in server side languages like php(wordpress,etc) 

Now IF they have a shopify customer account then you could either use the api to store ID's on a metafield,  but of course to do that you would already have the association between the customers-shopify-account and the amazon-order-id nuking most steps from the beginning.

Assuming that I have a list of order IDs to cross reference, say 1000 of them,
- where do I store these order IDs for the system to scrap through it when customers enter theirs?

In an app backend for security https://developers.shopify.com

Or an alternate template that only displays information to logged in customers possibly using customer tags during registration.

What you dont want to do is put them in a theme asset, or a file asset, as that will then be a publicly available list of customers order-ids.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
1 Like
2 0 0

Thank you for your detailed reply, I really appreciate it.

It definitely looks like something that's too complicated for me to do as I have zero programming knowledge. Probably not worth the headache to research more and just use a normal form to manually cross people out.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1658 48 164

@jordanho234 wrote:

Probably not worth the headache to research more and just use a normal form to manually cross people out.

Thanks again.

Your welcome. I know it can be frustrating to realize the depths needed when there's some business feature that seems needed but the systems involved don't cater to that feature.

But that is why it's important to answer the why, so out of curiosity are you able to explain the business problem your trying to solve in a way that may apply to other amazon<->shopify merchants?

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
0 Likes