Counterfeit websites supported by Shopify

jeffa
2 0 1

Has anyone had issues with counterfeit websites selling you product that are powered by Shopify?  Will Shopify help to close them down?

Empire Theme by Pixel Union. Powered by Shopify

https://biokaw.shop/

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
2571 136 453

@jeffa wrote:

Has anyone had issues with counterfeit websites selling you product that are powered by Shopify?  Will Shopify help to close them down?

If they're buying products from you to resell on their website then just cut them off to force a licensing deal.

Otherwise it really depends by what measure are the products "yours"?

Are  you the:

• direct brand manufacturer
  • trademark holder
  • copyright holder
  • a licensed seller of a brand (take up the issue with the brand)
  • etc etc any legal basis

Otherwise you have very little ground to stand on to complain about other businesses using the same business model your using.

Especially if your dropshipping  in which case don't be surprised if your completely ignored.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
0 Likes
jeffa
2 0 1

I am all of these:

direct brand manufacturer
trademark holder
copyright holder
a licensed seller of a brand (take up the issue with the brand)
etc etc any legal basis

We do not sell to them.  

The product is counterfeit.  Using our mark and design.  Even adding a few colors we never made.  

It is coming out of China.  Shopify should not support.  If they do not help, all of us should look for other solutions.

0 Likes
PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
2571 136 453

@jeffa wrote:

The product is counterfeit.  Using our mark and design.  Even adding a few colors we never made.  

First you need to contact a lawyer as shopify is not the first and only recourse you should be pursuing.

Then consider filing a DMCA takedown request with shopify

https://www.shopify.com/legal/dmca

Also a Trademark violation of the Acceptable Use Policy

https://www.shopify.com/legal/report-aup-violation

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
0 Likes
Federal_Crawler
1 0 0

This is a Federal Fraud Investigation Crawler. We received a tremendous complaints from JBL and several clients that Shopify are catering Fraud and Counterfeit Chinese products. You are directly involved for allowing your website to be used in Fraudulent activity. To protect the interest of every shopper specially our fellow american citizen, We are going to Crack-down all illegal Chinese activity.

We request that you take action and take down all counterfeit products.

www.online-sale.com.coA3576 23.227.38.64
www.online-sale.com.coCNAME21599 shops.myshopify.com

This client of yours are selling Fake products.

0 Likes
t0y
1 0 0

Hi,

What and where does shopify sit when a shopify seller is selling counterfeit products. On the sellers website they are showing a specific brand with all the brands labels and photos but the product that they ship is a counterfeit of what they have advertised.

For eg: I have purchased a product from a shopify website advertising it is a specific Brand but when I received the product it is not as advertised nor is it the branded product. I have requested a refund but they only will refund if i pay to return the product. I refuse to pay for the product to be returned because 1: it is not what I ordered wrong size and color and 2: it is counterfeit of the trademarked brand.

In saying all of this, what does shopify do regarding this.

Under T&C's General Conditions Section 4

1. You may not use the Shopify Services for any illegal or unauthorized purpose nor may you, in the use of the Service, violate any laws in your jurisdiction (including but not limited to copyright laws), the laws applicable to you in your customer’s jurisdiction, or the laws of Canada and the Province of Ontario. You will comply with all applicable laws, rules and regulations in your use of the Service and your performance of obligations under the Terms of Service.

Then Under Shopify Acceptable Use Policy section 6

Intellectual property: You may not offer goods or services, or post or upload Materials, that infringe on the copyright or trademarks of others.

0 Likes