Customers Finding Hidden Shopify Emails

Solved
Roxee541
Excursionist
17 1 3

Hello Shopify Community,

I maintain a Shopify website for a client, and have a question that is confusing to me/us.

He uses a 3rd party hosting service for his emails, and has a general catch all one called "shopify@xxxxxx.com". (the xxxxxx just represents the hosting domain name).

The main email address is "support@coolexpress.com". This is the main one they use for all correspondence through the website, contact forms, order notifications, etc., and it's is working fine.

Lately, some customers who have ordered, or just want to ask a pre-order question are sending an email out using "shopify@xxxxxx.com".
These are direct, new emails they are sending, not responding to anything previous emails, and we are wondering how they are finding this email address?

We are doing investigation work, on this and I thought I would post this in case anyone else has had a similar experience, or might know how this is happening.

Thanks in advance,

Todd

0 Likes
Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1183 154 193

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @Roxee541. That sounds very confusing! Please feel free to share your client’s domain name. I’m happy to be a second set of eyes and take a look around their store to see if their customers are finding this other email address anywhere on their storefront. 

However, off the top of my head, a few places to check where this may be stemming from are:

• The Sender email address set in their admin in ‘Settings > General’.
  • Within any store policies that are set up in ‘Settings > Legal’.
  • In a third party app - Sometimes apps used for functionalities such as newsletters, pop ups, custom forms etc. require the contact email address to be assigned directly within the app.
  • If your client is using a Shopify managed domain, check to see if email forwarding has been set up to direct incoming email to the catch all email address.
  • A third party theme - Some third party themes have features built-in that could have an email address assigned directly within the theme instead. For example, if there is a built-in contact page or pop up then this may need to be edited within the theme editor directly.
  • Ads or marketing campaigns - If your client is running any ads, double check the email address used on other platforms like Facebook, Instagram or Google.

Keep me posted, and let me know if any of the above suggestions help!

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Roxee541
Excursionist
17 1 3

Hi Helen,

Thanks for all the excellent information. I opened a ticket with Shopify support, and they responded back with some of the same information that you provided, mostly, what marketing tools are my clients using as this could be passing along the catch all email. We did check all the Shopify settings and legal pages and nothing there.

Shopify support also mentioned that "why does the client just email back one of these customers who used the hidden email, and ask how they got this email address?" And that seems the easiest way to find out.

So, I have passed all this information back to my client and feel that he can work this out. There's really not that many customers who use this catch all email.

And also, they do a lot of marketing and I am not privy to all there marketing channels, landing pages, etc.

Thanks again!

Todd

0 Likes
Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1183 154 193

Thanks for your reply, @Roxee541! I’m happy to have been of help. That’s a great additional suggestion of just asking one of the customers where they found the email address. How simple and efficient!

If I can assist with anything else, please let me know.

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes