Customising Search Results by tags or quantity

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
6 1 4

Hi,

We have multiple item availabilities on our store - In Stock, Direct From Supplier and Back Ordered From Supplier. We hide all Out Of Stock products and use false quantities to keep all other items (not including In Stock items) from appearing to customers. We are having an issue where often the Back Ordered From Supplier &  Direct From Supplier items appear before In Stock items. 

We use tags to identify these items, to display certain messages on products, and would like to use these tags to designate importance or relevancy in search results.

Can anyone help guide me in customising our search results to show 1-500 Quantity items first or to display items tagged as INSTOCK first?

Thank you.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
190 15 54

Hi, @MattBigMusic!

Welcome to Shopify Community. My name is Olivia and I work here.

I found a pretty sweet tutorial on helping you customize your storefront search results I'd like for you to check out. You can further display search results based on availability or only display results based on certain parameters. 

You didn't mention what theme you are using, but we might be able to help if its one of ours! Find your theme and version by heading to Admin > Online Store > Themes > Customize Theme > Theme Settings. 

I trust this will help guide you in the right direction, and please let me know if I can offer any further support going forward.

Warm regards,

Olivia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 1 4

Hi @Olivia

Thank you so much for the response. We are using the Flex theme by Out Of The Sandbox.

I have indeed checked these support articles out previously and while I felt I had a grip on coding the solution, I guess I'm looking for a little more guidance - I'm sure I'm just missing a key piece of information in my own knowledge and I would prefer to learn than go to a Shopify Expert at this point. 

I have thought about a solution overnight and believe the best way to go about this is to have the lowest quantities appear first. I suppose my concerns are, I'm not sure how to go about this, when I look at the search.liquid I get a little lost, my other concern is potential pagination issues.

Any more help would be appreciated, but I will go through those support articles again and try and work this out!

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
190 15 54

That's totally fair, I hear you on that @MattBigMusic.

There's a great deal of support, and many times specific code advice, we can provide which gets a little tricky as soon as it's on a theme that was not developed by us. While we would love to, it's essentially code that we did not develop, hence, can't provide any specific advice on. I know you mentioned that working with a Shopify Expert might be out of the picture right now, so I encourage you to tap into your own network to find a dev you trust. 

Based on what you have shared, I do agree there is a benefit in having low quantities appear first in search results. I might even recommend hiding the unavailable products altogether from your search results. I suppose this would also depend on how often your customers are searching for particular products on your store. Have you had a look at your Shopify Analytics for top store searches?

I am thinking out loud here, but if we can get a better idea of what some of the most popular search terms are, you could potentially organize your site to reflect that even better (i.e. showcase a particular collection or product on the home page). Even if you curated a specific collection of popular items with low quantities to show case specifically on your landing page. The best part is, you can do most of this without requiring the assistance of a developer.

Let me know what you think,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 1 4

Hi @Olivia ,

We do constantly monitor our top searches and sold products - we are a new store on Shopify (now new to the retail world) - so we have a good grasp on what's popular, but analytics are still growing for our store. Your idea for creating a category popular products to show first is a cool idea, and we may implement in the future! But not quite what we are after now and with a catalogue of 6000+ items, this could get messy without careful consideration. We also do currently hide unavailable products.

I will be reaching out to our theme developer to see if they can help me out. If we were using a Shopify developed theme, do you know the specific code changes needed to show lowest quantity items first? It might be helpful to see this and may even work on our theme as is.

Regards,
Matt

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
190 15 54

Great idea, @MattBigMusic.

That's absolutely fair, and I trust your theme's dev will try their best to assist. Feel free to share our tutorial with them as well for reference.

While I don't have any specific code advice outside of what is shared in our tutorial (even if you did use a Shopify theme), we would definitely have been able to loop in our in-house Theme Devs to potentially make the change for you.

This could be useful information, especially if you changed your theme down the road and needed to implement this again.

Warm regards,

Highlighted
Tourist
6 1 4

Thank you @Olivia,

We will definitely consider this! Certainly useful to know and remember.

If I come across a solution on my own or from our theme devs - I will post it here.

Regards,
Matt

Highlighted
Tourist
6 1 4

This is an accepted solution.

Well, @Olivia, it turns out we didn't need a coding solution - we already had an app installed that could handle this - apologies to anyone who finds this thread looking for a coding fix.

Our solution was using Products Search & Filter app - link here - then using their Merchandising function to create a rule prioritising products with a particular tag that denotes whether an item is In Stock. Our tags are applied automatically by another app called Smart Tags - link here - although I'm sure most other tag automation apps would suffice.

Thanks for your responses regardless, @Olivia.

Note: I am aware this was not what we ideally wanted - but this was due to the possibility of installing MORE apps to our current set up. We were already using these apps and thus, do not have an issue with this solution.

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
190 15 54

Hi, @MattBigMusic!

I really appreciate you sharing that with me. That's actually a really creative use of both those apps together, and I'm sure lots of future merchants will value this insight. I especially love that you provided direct links to both, so thank you very much. 

If any other questions come up in your journey on Shopify, please know our team is here 24/7 for you.

Warm regards,

0 Likes