Customizing Login Errors

Shopify Partner
44 0 3

Does anyone know if Shopify can spit back any login errors past "Invalid login credentials"?

I'm migrating several thousand customers in from a ZenCart store and I'd like to alert them to the fact that we do indeed have their email on file but they have to update their password to login... thus I'd like Shopify to spit back something more useful than the above if that email exists already.

I see where the output comes from:

{{ form.errors | default_errors }}

I even see some people can filter it:

{% if form.errors contains 'email' %}

But I assume that's only to flag an invalid email string, not tell the user if their email exists but they just have their password wrong.

Anyone have any experience in this dept? Of course I can display some text  in perpetuity like "We've recently changed our system, if you are sure you have an account click forgot password below".. but that's kind of ghetto.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
3933 15 323

If you're migrating thousands of customers and you have their email on file, the assumption is that you've successfully used the Customer API to create those Customer accounts and now all you want to do is send them their Welcome email with the link to the script where they login with their password

Your use case sounds odd to me since that is troubling you. How are you migrating these thousands of accounts in such a way that you are not able to have the standard built-in Welcome to Shop XYZ email be sent to the thousands of emails in your shop???

There is nothing Ghetto in migrating customers into Shopify. You do it right, and there is nothing for you to do but wait on them to click a link and fill in their password on your new system. Pretty slick, standard and no hassle.

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
44 0 3

Thanks HunkyBill.. very much appreciate the reply.

I'm using Cart2Cart to migrate from Zen to a dev Shop which I will push live. This is another thread but I'm not too happy with their migration script in that it sets all newly migrated customers to "Accepts Marketing" regardless of their designation in Zen. I have a support email into them now. I might just end up importing a CSV to Shopify.   

As for migration, perhaps I need to understand what the "best practice" is a little better. Since hundreds, if not thousands of these customers would not have ordered in the Zen store for quite some time, I don't think the owner would be to happy about sending them all "Welcome" emails. I personally wouldn't be too happy if a store I hadn't ordered with for months or years sent me an email asking me to do something. I would just assume that that store would retain my info regardless of a platform switch.

So the potential trouble comes in when I go back to that store and my password doesn't work (because you can't migrate passwords). What I thought would be good is that at the time of checkout, when a customer can't get into their account, Shopfiy could say "Hey, you do have an account here, but you need to reset your password. Sorry, we recently updated our system".

I'm happy to take a step back and talk migration techniques.. if you could shed some more light.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
3933 15 323

OK.. so the customer never knew what hit them, and one day they return and all they know is the shop is now Shopify, and their account is now pooched. So they try logging in and that fails. 

That is a little tricky. 

I am not the merchant but in my opinion, I would just bite the proverbial bullet and send out an email to each and every customer that accepts marketing and tell them about the switch, and the need to make a new password, and the link to that. 

For those that do not accept marketing... when they try and login and it fails, you can easily add a little App to the shop that accepts an Ajax query with the email. If the email is found you bounce that back to the customer along with the link to reset their password for the new shop. Otherwise, business is usual and they fill in their new account info. 

Nothing Ghetto there. All pretty standard stuff. 

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
44 0 3

Thanks again HunkyBill. Could you elaborate on how I can create the little app you describe? That sounds like exactly what I'm after! I am not an app developer thus I was hoping to do it within the template's abilities but I might be able hack something together.

As for my method being tricky, I just don't think that's the case.

The main problem I see is that there's so much inbox competition, many past customers will just ignore the reset email, then get to checkout sometime down the road and still have the "my password's not working issue". I'd like to have a fool-proof way to acknowledged what is going on at checkout. Personally, I'd rather save whatever precious inbox attention I might get from a past customer for marketing and not administrative action.

Ultimately, I'll let the business owner make the call. I just wanted to know what is and what isn't possible (hence my original question).

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
44 0 3

Spoke to the shop owners, I think we are going with HunkyBill's two tiered approach: email blast all users who opted into marketing and have them reset their passwords, then for the people who don't get marketing develop an app to alert migrated users to why their passwords don't work.

So, if there's any App devs who'd like to take a shot at the app HunkyBill describes above, please get in touch. I'm happy to pay for development and make it public.

Thanks all!

0 Likes