Solved

Delete a shopify managed Domain

Lohifusi1997
Visitor
1 0 1

Hey guys,

I would like to delete my shopify managed domain.

Is there a way to do this?

Best regards 

Arvid

Accepted Solutions (2)

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @Lohifusi1997

I’m Helen from Shopify Support. Welcome to the Community, and thanks for your question.

It is possible to remove a Shopify-managed domain! A member of our support team will need to assist with this if you want it fully removed, however it’s possible to disconnect it so that it no longer directs customers to your storefront.

To proceed with this, please first ensure that the auto renew option is turned off. You can do this from your admin by going to ‘Online Store > Domains > Manage’ and unchecking the auto renew box as seen below:

20-05-4snn9-j003r

Next, you need to disconnect the domain from your store. This is done by altering the DNS settings, which are also found in ‘Online Store > Domains > Manage’. They are at the top of this page here: 

20-05-22qlo-x5ehx

Within these settings, please remove the CNAME, and change the A Record to be 0.0.0.0. Both tasks are initiated by clicking on the Actions dropdown next to the record, like this:

20-05-23446-epc7i

Once these changes are made, the domain is disconnected from your account, and it will no longer direct customers to your storefront. Therefore, you can leave it on your account just like this, which gives you the flexibility to allow it to expire, reconnect it at another time or transfer it to another Shopify store or hosting site, if you’d like.

However, if you would prefer to fully remove it and no longer have access to it, please contact support once the above steps are complete to have it deleted from your account.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hello, @Romy1! We can definitely  help you with this. We’ll need to access your account in order to do so. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit the Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request.

Since this is the next step, I've marked this reply as the solution for the benefit of others who may discover this topic. Thanks!

View solution in original post

Replies 29 (29)

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hey, @Lohifusi1997

I’m Helen from Shopify Support. Welcome to the Community, and thanks for your question.

It is possible to remove a Shopify-managed domain! A member of our support team will need to assist with this if you want it fully removed, however it’s possible to disconnect it so that it no longer directs customers to your storefront.

To proceed with this, please first ensure that the auto renew option is turned off. You can do this from your admin by going to ‘Online Store > Domains > Manage’ and unchecking the auto renew box as seen below:

20-05-4snn9-j003r

Next, you need to disconnect the domain from your store. This is done by altering the DNS settings, which are also found in ‘Online Store > Domains > Manage’. They are at the top of this page here: 

20-05-22qlo-x5ehx

Within these settings, please remove the CNAME, and change the A Record to be 0.0.0.0. Both tasks are initiated by clicking on the Actions dropdown next to the record, like this:

20-05-23446-epc7i

Once these changes are made, the domain is disconnected from your account, and it will no longer direct customers to your storefront. Therefore, you can leave it on your account just like this, which gives you the flexibility to allow it to expire, reconnect it at another time or transfer it to another Shopify store or hosting site, if you’d like.

However, if you would prefer to fully remove it and no longer have access to it, please contact support once the above steps are complete to have it deleted from your account.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

lvrzonly
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello,

I have followed these steps. However, it still says the status is "connected". Does this matter? Thank you

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hi, @lvrzonly. Great question!

Following the steps above allows you to remove your Shopify domain, but not disconnect it. Therefore, it will still say that it is connected in your admin, because technically it still is. It’s just not pointing to Shopify. You can double check that it no longer directs to your store by simply typing your domain name into your browser. It should result in a page that looks something like this: 

20-11-ncn9r-fz1gr

Are you wanting to use the domain on another website, or Shopify store?

ipmam
Visitor
1 0 0
Hi

My domain is linked to Shopify. How to unlink it or delete it from my Shopify account please?

Regards

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hey, @ipmam. Welcome to the Community! Thanks for your question. 

Did you purchase your domain from Shopify? Or is it a third party domain that you’re trying to remove from your store? 

For Shopify purchased domains, I explained above on 05-12-2020 how to disconnect the domain if you no longer want it pointing to your store. But, if you want to completely remove it that’s something our support team will need to help you with, so just let me know.

However, may I ask what your purpose is for wanting to 'unlink it or deleting it'? Are you wanting to transfer it away from Shopify to be hosted elsewhere perhaps? If this is the case, we have a Help Doc here with the steps on how to do it. 

Alternatively, if you are wanting to connect it to another Shopify store instead, the steps to do that are here.

theextatic
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi, I need to delete a Shopify-managed domains but there is no option to do so. Please help.

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hey, @theextatic. Welcome to the Community!

Please refer back to my post within this thread on 05-12-2020. It has the steps for removing/disconnecting your Shopify managed domain from your account. 

However, if you want to completely delete it (ie. you never want to use it again), then that’s something I’ll need to help you with from my end. Happy to do so, so just let me know if that's what you need, and we can proceed. 

a_na
Tourist
3 0 0

Hi Helen

My Shopify managed domain expired yesterday, and I didn't see your post on 05-12-2020 until today. But I still followed the steps for disconnecting just in case.

I just wanted to let my domain expire, so I could come back to it at a later time. Is it okay that I let it expire before following your steps in your previous post?

Thank you for your help.

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hi, @a_na. Great question; thanks for asking it!

When your domain expires, it means your ownership of it is about to be over. Upon expiry it moves into a 40 day Grace Period, during which time you can still choose to renew it, and I can help you with that. 

However, If your domain is not renewed within 40 days, it moves into Redemption Status for the next 30 days. At this time, you can still renew it, but the request to do so will need to be escalated to our Billing team, and the cost will increase (the rates vary, so I don’t know for sure how much it will be). Once another 30 days has passed, so 100 days after expiry, your domain is then purged by the registrar and made available to the public again so that anyone can purchase it.

Therefore, if you are wanting to keep your domain and use it at a later date, I highly recommend renewing it within the next 40 days so that you can retain ownership over it for when you are ready to reconnect it to your store. Let me know what you think!

a_na
Tourist
3 0 0

Hi again, Helen. Thank you for your reply. It was very helpful to read your explanation.

May I ask, since the domain is in a Grace Period, did it matter that I removed the CNAME records and changed the A Record to be 0.0.0.0 while in this period? And just to confirm, I don't need to click "Remove" before closing my store?

Screen Shot 2021-02-05.png

Also, just curious, can you still transfer a domain while in the Grace Period?

I actually don't know when I will be able/ready to return to using the domain for a store. Is it difficult to purchase the same domain when it is made available to the public again? This was my first domain ever, and I am confused with all the information I've read about domains.

Thank you again for your help!

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hey again, @a_na! Domains can definitely be confusing. I know how you feel; It's taken me quite some time, and a lot of research and learning to gain an understanding of them. That being said, the answers to your questions are found below.

Did it matter that I removed the CNAME records and changed the A Record to be 0.0.0.0 while in this period? 

No, this should be fine. Removing your DNS settings means the domain isn’t pointing anywhere. Therefore, if someone were to try to visit it, they wouldn’t be directed to a particular website or store, since it’s not connected to anything.

And just to confirm, I don't need to click "Remove" before closing my store?

It’s recommended to remove your domain before closing your store. This way, if you or someone else in the future wants to use that domain, they won’t experience any unexpected issues with it still being associated with your closed account. 

Also, just curious, can you still transfer a domain while in the Grace Period?

Yes, in most cases you should be able to transfer your domain while it’s in the Grace Period. However, in full transparency, since there can be issues that arise depending on the domain itself, renewal is sometimes required.

Is it difficult to purchase the same domain when it is made available to the public again? 

When a domain expires and is made public again, you run the risk of not being able to repurchase it if someone else buys it before you do. Therefore, if your domain name is something that is likely to be purchased again, I recommend renewing it, and transferring it to another host (like GoDaddy for example) where you can continue to own it. From there, you can transfer or point it where needed once you decide to start up your business again.

Speaking of your business, is there a particular reason you are wanting to close your store at this time? I’m happy to help if there’s something you’re struggling with, so just let me know.

a_na
Tourist
3 0 0

Hi again, Helen. Thank you for answering all my questions!

As for my reason, it is just financial; but thank you so much for explaining everything and responding so quickly. Hope you have a great weekend!

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

My pleasure, @a_na. I hope you had a good weekend too!

I completely understand that times are tough right now. I’ll let you know of a few other options we have put in place as relief measures to help our merchants get through this crazy time we're all faced with. No pressure at all; I just want to make sure you know all of your options.  

How long have you been with Shopify? Because if you have been on a paid plan for at least 60 days, you can Pause your store instead of closing it. There are two ways to Pause, and both will also enable you to keep your domain hosted on Shopify, if you decide that you want to renew it.:

• Full Pause - Pause your store for 3 months, and no subscription fees will be invoiced during this time. You won’t have access to your account during that 3 months, however you can switch to the pause and build, or a paid plan at any time while it’s paused. 
  • Pause and Build - This plan is $9/month, and you’ll be able to access your account so that you can continue to work on your store. Your checkout will be disabled while on the Pause and Build, which means your customers can still visit your storefront, however no purchases can be made. You can switch back to a paid plan at any time to reactivate your checkout.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions or would like to discuss your options further, please let me know. All the best!

Romy1
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello can you please help me permanently delete the shopify managed domain please?

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hello, @Romy1! We can definitely  help you with this. We’ll need to access your account in order to do so. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit the Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request.

Since this is the next step, I've marked this reply as the solution for the benefit of others who may discover this topic. Thanks!

SanValue
Visitor
2 0 0

Hello

My domain is linked to Shopify ( right now the trial is expired and I am no longer to use Shopify store). How to unlink it or delete it from my Shopify account please?

*I cannot access my account to change the domain setting and the system ask to pick the plan first.

my email : valueminerals@gmail.com

Shopify account : value-minerals.myshopify.com

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hello, @SanValue. We’d be happy to take a look into this for you.

Since it requires accessing your account to determine the best course of action, please follow the instructions in the ‘Accepted Solution’ I posted directly before your inquiry to contact support via the Help Center.  Thanks!

CCLife_apparel
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi, yes we did make a change for the domain from One name to "another one, However we are having problems with primary email change and the "powered by" is reflecting the previous domain. When the link with the "new store name" is shared (such as by text message ) the previous store s name and logo appear even though it takes you to the correct  page. How can this be corrected. We would like this corrected to not confuse our customers. The powered by "previois" continue to appear at the bottom of the page although I have learned how I might be able to remove that but it still concerns me that it is appearing as to do that rather than the new name. We would like some help in making sure this page was correctly transferred from domains and the emails and links are all correct. The last thing that I have a question on is in regards to when we purchased the domain (the new company s name) through shopify and it didn't come with "com" which we assumed it would. What can we do about that and should that be some thing of concern? 

Thank you before hand for any help with this process! 

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hey, @CCLife_apparel. Thanks for contributing to this thread. Please see the answers to each of your questions below:

We are having problems with primary email change.

I’m unclear as to which email address you are considering the primary email address, so I’ll outline where to change each of the main email addresses in your admin. 

To change the store contact or sender email, please go to ‘Settings > General’. However, if you are referring to the Account Owner email address, this is changed by clicking on your profile photo in the top right hand side of your admin as seen below, then ‘Manage account > change email’.

21-02-hgnng-tk8gy

The "powered by" is reflecting the previous domain.

I assume you are referring to the wording in your footer that has your store name followed by  Powered by Shopify as seen below? The store name is updated in ‘Settings > General’ as well. Once updated here, the new store name will be reflected on your storefront.

21-02-6y9mr-r7ueo

When the link with the "new store name" is shared (such as by text message ) the previous store s name and logo appear.

It can sometimes just take time for changes like this to update so that your social sharing information displays correctly. How long ago did you make the edits to your store?

However, if you would like to be specific about the image you use as well as the meta description that displays, these can be updated in ‘Online Store > Preferences’.

When we purchased the domain (the new company s name) through shopify and it didn't come with "com".

When purchasing a domain through Shopify, you get to choose what extension you would like to have, provided it’s available. Therefore, when you were going through the process of buying a domain, the available extension options for your store name would have appeared similarly to the example below. Take a look at the Help Doc for Buying a domain from Shopify for more information.  

Was the .com extension perhaps not available for your preferred domain name? What extension did you end up buying?

21-02-vo0pt-k77wt

Miguel16
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi , so I deactivated my store “reflow skateboards” awhile but I also want to delete my domain . If you could help me thank you so much

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hey, @Miguel16! Thanks for reaching out. 

Is your custom domain a third party domain? Or was it purchased from Shopify

Are you wanting to remove it from your account? Or are you needing to transfer it to another store or hosting platform?

Either way, we’ll need to access your closed account in order to look into this for you. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit the Help Center to create a support request. Since this is the next step I've marked this reply as the solution for the benefit of others who may discover this topic. Thanks!

manka
Visitor
3 0 0

Dear Helen

Thank you for this very helpful information.

I am unable to follow these steps partly because I do not see the options for DNS settings or to disable auto renew  (see screenshot below)

My purpose is to fully transition from Shopify to Hostinger. I have already followed steps to transfer domain out of Shopify and received a confirmation from Hostinger that on their end my domain status has changed. However, when I click the domain, I get directed to Shopify and get the message below (See second screenshot). This asks me to connect my domain to Shopify store, which doesn't make any sense because my purpose is to disconnect and delink and close shop at Shopify. Please advise. I am unable to follow your steps because I cant identify DNS and auto renew tabs... however, by this request I am contacting Shopify support to help me to a) disconnect this domain from my store and b) permanently delete my store so I can end my plan subscription. Thank you for your guidance and wish you a lovely day!

Warmest

Manka 

Domain.png

somain one step.png

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hi, @manka. Thanks for reaching out, and for the screenshots! It appears to me that your domain has been successfully removed from your Shopify account, however the DNS settings are still pointing to Shopify. That’s why it’s directing you to connect it to your store. 

Therefore, since your domain is now being hosted by Hostinger, you’ll need to adjust the DNS settings from within your Hostinger account to point away from Shopify, and to Hostinger instead. Hostinger has a tutorial for how to do this here. But, if you would like assistance with it, please contact them directly, as they will be the best ones to help you to correctly make those edits. 

Once that’s done, you can close your store properly by following the steps in the Help Doc Close your Shopify store, and you will no longer be charged for your subscription fees moving forward.

Hope this helps, but we’re sorry to see you go! Is there a specific reason you’re wanting to close your store? We’re always looking for ways to improve the platform for our merchants and their customers, so we appreciate all feedback, if you’d like to share. Thanks!

manka
Visitor
3 0 0

Thank you Helen. Very kind of you. Quick question - Can i stop or pause my plan in the meantime to avoid paying subscription fees or is that going to somehow impact and hinder the process? Thanks, this was super helpful and very prompt 🙂

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

You’re welcome, @manka! I’m glad you’ve found the information helpful.

It’s possible to pause your store, if you’ve been on a paid plan for at least 60 days. The steps to choose the Full Pause plan are here in the Help Doc for Pause your store completely and step away from it. On this plan, your store will be paused for up to 3 months, no subscription fees will be due during that time, and you will not have access to your admin. This won’t affect the transfer of your domain. After 3 months, your store will automatically be transitioned onto the Pause & Build plan ($9/month) unless you reach out to support and send in a request for it to be cancelled before then. 

However, if your domain has already been transferred and removed from your Shopify admin, then there really would not be a need to keep the account active, even on a Pause plan. We’d be happy to confirm that your domain has been removed, if you’d like, and then you can proceed with closing it completely.

We’ll need to access your account in order to confirm this. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit the Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request.

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Jess21
Visitor
1 0 0

I’ve followed these steps. It’s still directs to my main domain. Does it take time to take effect? Ive waited a few hours and still directs back to the main domain. I have 0.0.0.0 in the points to A record section. 

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hi, @Jess21. Welcome to the Community!

Have you also removed your CNAME Record? I recommend you do this as well, if your end goal is to disconnect your Shopify managed domain. After any changes are made to your DNS Settings, it can take up to 48 hours for the changes to take effect, so please wait a little bit longer. But do reach out again if you still continue to be directed to your domain after that amount of time has passed, and we can continue to troubleshoot. Thanks!

Therapyheals
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello, 

My screen looks nothing like the example, I mistakenly connected my therapy business website to shopify, and want to remove it, please help!

francie
Visitor
1 0 0

I PROMISE.... THIS WILL WORK!!!!!!

I tried EVERYTHING, and then.....

Go to the place where you bought your domain, for example I went to google domains.

Go to your domain, click on it and it will say who your domain is connected to, and click DELTE!  YAY!!!! 

That simple!!!