Delete a shopify managed Domain

Solved
Lohifusi1997
1 0 1

Hey guys,

I would like to delete my shopify managed domain.

Is there a way to do this?

Best regards 

Arvid

Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
887 93 139

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @Lohifusi1997

I’m Helen from Shopify Support. Welcome to the Community, and thanks for your question.

It is possible to remove a Shopify-managed domain! A member of our support team will need to assist with this if you want it fully removed, however it’s possible to disconnect it so that it no longer directs customers to your storefront.

To proceed with this, please first ensure that the auto renew option is turned off. You can do this from your admin by going to ‘Online Store > Domains > Manage’ and unchecking the auto renew box as seen below:

20-05-4snn9-j003r

Next, you need to disconnect the domain from your store. This is done by altering the DNS settings, which are also found in ‘Online Store > Domains > Manage’. They are at the top of this page here: 

20-05-22qlo-x5ehx

Within these settings, please remove the CNAME, and change the A Record to be 0.0.0.0. Both tasks are initiated by clicking on the Actions dropdown next to the record, like this:

20-05-23446-epc7i

Once these changes are made, the domain is disconnected from your account, and it will no longer direct customers to your storefront. Therefore, you can leave it on your account just like this, which gives you the flexibility to allow it to expire, reconnect it at another time or transfer it to another Shopify store or hosting site, if you’d like.

However, if you would prefer to fully remove it and no longer have access to it, please contact support once the above steps are complete to have it deleted from your account.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
lvrzonly
1 0 0

Hello,

I have followed these steps. However, it still says the status is "connected". Does this matter? Thank you

0 Likes
Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
887 93 139

Hi, @lvrzonly. Great question!

Following the steps above allows you to remove your Shopify domain, but not disconnect it. Therefore, it will still say that it is connected in your admin, because technically it still is. It’s just not pointing to Shopify. You can double check that it no longer directs to your store by simply typing your domain name into your browser. It should result in a page that looks something like this: 

20-11-ncn9r-fz1gr

Are you wanting to use the domain on another website, or Shopify store?

0 Likes
ipmam
1 0 0
Hi

My domain is linked to Shopify. How to unlink it or delete it from my Shopify account please?

Regards

0 Likes
Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
887 93 139

Hey, @ipmam. Welcome to the Community! Thanks for your question. 

Did you purchase your domain from Shopify? Or is it a third party domain that you’re trying to remove from your store? 

For Shopify purchased domains, I explained above on 05-12-2020 how to disconnect the domain if you no longer want it pointing to your store. But, if you want to completely remove it that’s something our support team will need to help you with, so just let me know.

However, may I ask what your purpose is for wanting to 'unlink it or deleting it'? Are you wanting to transfer it away from Shopify to be hosted elsewhere perhaps? If this is the case, we have a Help Doc here with the steps on how to do it. 

Alternatively, if you are wanting to connect it to another Shopify store instead, the steps to do that are here.

0 Likes
theextatic
1 0 0

Hi, I need to delete a Shopify-managed domains but there is no option to do so. Please help.

0 Likes
Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
887 93 139

Hey, @theextatic. Welcome to the Community!

Please refer back to my post within this thread on 05-12-2020. It has the steps for removing/disconnecting your Shopify managed domain from your account. 

However, if you want to completely delete it (ie. you never want to use it again), then that’s something I’ll need to help you with from my end. Happy to do so, so just let me know if that's what you need, and we can proceed. 

0 Likes
a_na
Tourist
3 0 0

Hi Helen

My Shopify managed domain expired yesterday, and I didn't see your post on 05-12-2020 until today. But I still followed the steps for disconnecting just in case.

I just wanted to let my domain expire, so I could come back to it at a later time. Is it okay that I let it expire before following your steps in your previous post?

Thank you for your help.

0 Likes
Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
887 93 139

Hi, @a_na. Great question; thanks for asking it!

When your domain expires, it means your ownership of it is about to be over. Upon expiry it moves into a 40 day Grace Period, during which time you can still choose to renew it, and I can help you with that. 

However, If your domain is not renewed within 40 days, it moves into Redemption Status for the next 30 days. At this time, you can still renew it, but the request to do so will need to be escalated to our Billing team, and the cost will increase (the rates vary, so I don’t know for sure how much it will be). Once another 30 days has passed, so 100 days after expiry, your domain is then purged by the registrar and made available to the public again so that anyone can purchase it.

Therefore, if you are wanting to keep your domain and use it at a later date, I highly recommend renewing it within the next 40 days so that you can retain ownership over it for when you are ready to reconnect it to your store. Let me know what you think!