Different content based on locale.

Solved
10 0 0

Currently i'm using iframe to show a video on my page with a static url to the video.

I've added a locale file for FR to support french in my shop, and here's my question.

I have 2 videos (one in english and one in french) where / how should I save the video url for the french version so when the user is from FR locale, they see the french video instead of the english video?

Is there a way to save variables inside locale file for me to retrieve from template files?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
565 122 184

@aceduck 

first, let me know how exactly you are managing multiple languages? Are you using any third party APP?

Thank you,

Tejas

Shopify Expert | Skype: tejas.nadpara
- Like and Mark as an Accepted Solution if reply helpful
- Feel free to contact me on support@hexaecommerce.com regarding any help
0 Likes
10 0 0

I read on a community forum somewhere that adding a json file into locale folder is the way to do it? Is that not correct?

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Partner
565 122 184

@aceduck 

No, locale folder JSON file only used when you change your store default language from Admin > Settings > Store languages

means, if you want to run multiple languages on your store then you have to go with any third party APP like langify

Thank you,

Tejas

0 Likes
10 0 0

Thanks for the reply @Tejas_Nadpara 

After I use langify to support multiple languages, can I achieve what my original post was asking? Or is that not possible to do on Shopify?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
565 122 184

@aceduck 

Yes, you can display different video, text, image, etc.. based on the language but it would not automatically change language based on user location. You have to set all languages on your site header or somewhere else and the user has to change the language manually so content will display based on user selected language.

0 Likes
10 0 0

Do you know if there's a way to change the language based on location in any way?

Or I guess I could create different domains for each language, but then after that where would I write the code to detect location and redirect?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
565 122 184

@aceduck 

I checked Langify app description and found that it already gives that option. You can check read about the App features.

"Automatic language detection (customers will be redirected to their preferred language automatically)"

Thank you,

Tejas

0 Likes