Discount Code not showing up on Checkout

WTCTA
Visitor
1 0 1

I've seen this question asked on the forums before, but with no help. I hope this gets the attention of someone from the staff.

I created a discount code that should apply to everything, but the field to type in the code is not showing up. I dont have a desktop to test this, but its happening on mobile. 

Thanks.

Replies 16 (16)

Prabhat
Shopify Expert
83 8 28
  • It Could happen if the store have no active discount
  • If you are on mobile the option is present under Show Order details dropdown 
Solution Expert
- Did I solved your issue? Like & Mark As Solution to help the community
SavannaFA
Excursionist
15 1 8

I have the same problem. Active discounts, but the discount field does not show up anywhere during checkout. Any ideas why this might be happening? In my case I tested on desktop. There is no field anywhere during checkout or in the cart to enter a discount code.

SavannaFA
Excursionist
15 1 8

Ok I have identified the problem and solution on my side. I'm using an app called Dynamic Product Options which creates a draft order, and this conflicts with the default checkout process. Fortunately, in their settings they allow you to choose Default Checkout instead of Draft Order. Once I switched back to Default Checkout, the discount code field appeared again as expected.

I hope this helps someone else.

ShampooSteve
Excursionist
12 0 3

That's interesting - thanks for posting that.  I have an app called B2B/Wholesale which allows us to give wholesale customers a different price by giving their account a tag which I like a lot - and it also makes a draft order first.   So I tested, and ogged in as a B2B customers, the coupon box did not appear!   Where otherwise as a guest or retail customer it would appear on my desktop.  So perhaps some of our problem has to do with that app.  They have minimal explanation on how to insert coupon box but I will contact the developer see if they have a workaround.   Thanks again!  Changes my whole perspective on the problems we've been having. 

Lydy22
Tourist
16 0 2

Hey there,

I am having the same problem but only for certain customers. Can you help please?

ShampooSteve
Excursionist
12 0 3

Depending on your theme, the discount code may not appear obviously on Mobile devices like it does on desktop.  It is  is hidden behind a little blue link that says something like "show order summary".  The customers have to click that blue "show order summary" link and then they will see their cart items and the coupon/discount code box.   So if these customers are having trouble, find out if they are using a mobile device.  They just have to click that link and it will appear.  It's a little silly but that's how my theme appears on Mobile devices.  We have to do a lot of explaining to customers.  

The problem we had was to do with an add-on app B2B Commerce that lets some wholesale customers get a discounted price automatically without a code.    Since that app processed the orders a little differently by creating a draft order, when these customers got to the checkout page the coupon box would not appear for them.  It had to do with the B2B app, not shopify.  Wouldn't let them apply an additional discount or coupon or points.  

Lydy22
Tourist
16 0 2

I don't seem to have any links. It is only not working for some people . This one particular person is in the US and has tried on chrome on mobile and desktop.

ShampooSteve
Excursionist
12 0 3

Did you try having them use a different browser?   I am far from an expert at this.  
We have 3 or 4 different browsers we use so we can test it ourselves.  Apple mobile has safari and chrome and brave and the desktop has chrome, brave and whatever Microsoft calls their browser these days.   So when we encounter a problem we try to recreate it.  

Another thing we sometimes do here when it just becomes too annoying for the customer is we just do the order for them and manually apply a discount and then email them the invoice.  Then all they have to do is click the invoice and checkout.  Discount already applied.  

Lydy22
Tourist
16 0 2

Oh that's a clever way to get around it! thanks

Sabrybiba
Visitor
1 0 1

I had the same problem too. I had an active coupon but no box showed up....that's because it's hiding.. (maybe depending on the theme I chose?) The coupon box is under "Show order summary" on the upper left corner AFTER you click on the checkout button. Hope this helps 

Rowby
Shopify Expert
94 0 19

In my case I double checked my Discounts in Shopify Admin.

It turned out that I did not have any active coupons.  All of my coupons were set to be active in the future.

So as part of your troubleshooting, double check the active dates (including expiration date) on your coupons.  Usage limits, etc.

Because it appears that Shopify will only show the Coupon Code feature on checkout if your site has active coupons and no other restrictions set in the coupon code admin page.

Rowby

Shopify Partner
Los Angeles 

www.Rowby.com
Specializing in Shopify Solutions including CBD
SOMETHINGKATCHY
Visitor
1 0 0

I have the same issue. I did create a discount and made it active with an end date and the field to apply does not come up in the summary at checkout. I am using the dawn theme for this. what else can I try?

SHHHH
4 0 0

i found the problem. Go to edit code and look for (cart-template.liquid) once you find it look for this code (my theme is debut so might be different for you) <ul class="order-discount order-discount--list order-discount--title order-discount--cart{% if item.line_level_discount_allocations == blank %} hide{% endif %}" aria-label="{{ 'customer.order.discount' | t }}" data-cart-item-discount-list>
{%- for discount_allocation in itemDiscounts -%}
<li class="order-discount__item" data-cart-item-discount>
{% include 'icon-saletag' %}
<span data-cart-item-discount-title>
{{- discount_allocation.discount_application.title -}}
</span> (-<span data-cart-item-discount-amount>{{ discount_allocation.amount | money }}</span>)
</li>
{%- endfor -%}
</ul>

put it below the <div data-cart-item-price> under the closed div (</div>)

ShampooSteve
Excursionist
12 0 3

We have similar problem but not exactly.  Some customers see the coupon box, others do not.  I think it may dependent on the theme, the browser, and the device.  Seems that Apple Safari desktop doesn't show up at all. On Mobile, they have to click "show order details" to see the coupon box but it's not intuitive to know the coupon box is hidden there.  Customers have sent me screenshots (and we send them screenshots).  It's very bizarre.  We all want the experience to be seamless but it's a minor annoyance to the customers and to the staff.  We have the Chat App installed and a Rewards program so customers who can't where to put their Rewards coupon code (or promotional coupon codes we send out monthly) hit us up with chat questions practically every day about this.  

TheHelp3
Visitor
1 0 0

Shopify has an issue with not automatically saving so when you activate the discount code it isn’t technically confirmed because you haven’t saved on your store editor, try saving on your store customise page then refresh it should show up the next time you’re redirected to the shipping page, this usually works with most other problems not showing up as well, hope this helped 

rodjaish
Visitor
1 0 0

in my case i just uncheck the charge tax from the product page and uncheck include tax in prices from the tax & duties in settings option