Displaying Image from a Custom CDN

Solved

Hi,
Can I serve an image in a shopify store (shopify powered storefront) off a custom CDN like Fastly or Imgix? 

Kubric
Helping Brands convert customers with GIF's, Memes & Short Videos
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
404 49 88

Hey, @mercurialsolo!

I'm Lizzy, one of the Gurus on the support team at Shopify.

You can absolutely do that! How to add the image will depend on where you'd like to put it. If you'd like to put the image on your homepage, you can add a custom HTML box in the theme customizer and embed the image in there.

28-10-qybd0-kk3js

If you're hoping to use the images on product pages you can connect them to your store by clicking here:

28-09-yn8tx-ocmpe

You can also add images on to any page, or product description by embedding them into the rich text editor.

Let me know if this helps you to get those images appearing, or if you'd like to place them in a spot I haven't mentioned!

Other than this, how have you been finding your store set up so far?

Thank you,
Lizzy

Lizzy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi Lizzy,

Thanks for the answer. 

Is it also possible to showcase an image from a CDN as Product Image(s) or Collection Image(s)?

Kubric
0 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
404 49 88

You're welcome!

I apologize, I may have not worded my original response correctly. The second screenshot above shows where you can add the image in as a product image using a URL. At this time this isn't an option for collection images to be added this way from the admin. That being said, our teams are very appreciative of the feedback and questions we receive in the community forums, as it gives us insight into what businesses using our platform are looking for! I will make sure to let our development team know that there are store owners hoping to be able to add images in more places using URLs.

If you're comfortable making adjustments to your theme code, you may be able to adjust the collection images directly in there. However, this would need to be done again any time the image needs to be changed, or if you chose to switch to a new theme. Before making any changes to the theme code I always like to suggest duplicating your theme. You can do this by going to Online Store>Actions>Duplicate. Just in case.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Lizzyquick follow up to the above.

If I update the image saved at my CDN url will it auto-update the product image which is being shown?

I may be mistaken on the below flow, do correct me if wrong. 

I think adding an image from a URL as mentioned in the above process leads to

1. The image(s) being downloaded by the Shopify Server

2. Actually serving it off a shopify CDN URL (when the store (product/home) is being viewed by a customer)

Kubric
0 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
404 49 88

Hey @mercurialsolo!

You're right yes, using the Product URL input in this way would serve the image off of Shopify's servers. Meaning that if you were to update the image you would need to add it to the admin again.

If you would like to input a link which can be updated from an outside source, you would need to input that URL into your theme code. Then, any time you update the image at the source, it would update the image on the site.

0 Likes