Does the url address of the product page need to include'/collection/xx'

Barry27
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi everyone,

The theme of my shopify store is minimal. I encountered a problem. In the page of'/collection/xx', all links to the product page contain the prefix of'/collection/xx' (can be modified to not contain the prefix), but I have a product page'/products/yy' that does not contain this prefix and ranks high in google

'/collection/xx/products/yy' and'/products/yy' (yy is the product in xx collection), these two addresses enter the same page
I would like to know:
    1. Which url address is more suitable for seo advertising?
    2. If I keep both, whether the page scores of these two addresses will be scattered, thus affecting the ranking of the page

0 Likes
KieranR
Shopify Partner
230 21 64

I prefer to point all internal links to /products/yy

Main pro for SEO being that it makes the primary page a lot clearer to Google. Internal links to a single primary product page send a much stronger signal that "this page is primary" rather than relying on Shopify's workaround using canonicals to "fix" a dorked URL routing schema that includes dupe URLs. 

Anecdotally, I've now seen a number of sites where Google ignores the canonicals completely and ranks the non-root pages anyway, against their canonical tag "recommendations". 

Flattening the site out to the root product URL's avoids this.

But it breaks breadcrumbs. Still worth the tradeoff imo.

Full time Shopify SEO guy, based in NZ. Sometimes freelance outside the 9-5.
Barry27
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi KieranR,

Thank you for your reply, I have changed the url to'products/yy', I think such a url is more concise and more suitable for search engines.

Faltfabrik
Tourist
7 0 4

Hi, 

I just started with Shopify and also use the Minimal theme. It seems like the default setting in my shop is "/products/product-name" for the links and this explains why the breadcrumbs are not working in my navigation ("home > product-name" instead of "home > collection-name > product-name"). So maybe a total noob question: Does this mean that they changed the Minimal theme regarding the SEO friendly product url issue (my theme version is 12.4.0)? If so is there any changelog containing infos like that? Otherwise it is quite confusing when looking for help because you will find old and new info and nobody is adding their theme version. E.g. if you check the Minimal theme demo shop the breadcrumbs work and they have the "long" urls: https://minimal-vintage-theme.myshopify.com/collections/prints/products/the-staves

I understand that for SEO reasons it is better to have the "real" urls instead of the "long" ones showing also the collection, but how would I enable those "fake" urls, if I wanted them to have working breadcrumbs? And is there a way to make breadcrumbs work AND have the SEO friendly urls?

0 Likes
Faltfabrik
Tourist
7 0 4

BTW: I managed to make the breadcrumbs work and have the collection added in the product page url for Minimal theme 12.4.0. Most threads you will find are about the exact opposite and they tell you to look for "{{ product.url | within: collection }}" and remove "| within: collection" for SEO reasons – this will result in Shopify only using the canonical product url when navigating and will at the same time break breadcrumbs. Anyway the non-canonical link will still be created by Shopify. 

It seems that for Minimal theme 12.4.0 the default code is different and you will have to add "| within: collection" if you want to make breadcrumbs work. Additionally you will not find "{{ product.url}}" in product-grid-item.liquid. Instead you will have to look for "{{ featured.url}}" and change it to "{{ featured.url | within: collection }}". Maybe this helps people who have the same question as I had.