Domain Name Purchase From Shopify

Solved
AbacusHaley
2 0 0

Hello,

I am trying to setup a SMTP and need the name of the company that manages the Domains purchased from Shopify.

IF I bought a Domain from Shopify, who manages the domain?

0 Likes
Hank
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1075 120 169

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @AbacusHaley,

Hank here from Shopify. Really great question!

Once you purchase a domain in Shopify, it is managed within the Shopify admin, where you can access the DNS settings, and email forwarding options.

The service Shopify uses to resell domains to merchants is OpenSRS, whose parent company is Tucows Inc. I also have an FAQ for you here also.09-56-sew3f-8colmI hope this answers your question, but do reach back out to me if you need anything else!

All the best, Hank.

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

glenn9
2 0 0

Hi Hank

I'm having the same issue. I can't find where to change the DNS settings and I purchased the domain from shopify. My status is not connected, I've watched the tutorials but can't find where to go to change the DNS settings. I have the email from TUSCOWS about the data use consent, it says nothing further is required. What needs to happen?

Thank you

0 Likes
Hank
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1075 120 169

Hi, @glenn9!

Although you mentioned you purchased your domain from Shopify, I will share both ways to access your DNS settings.

If it was from Shopify, your domain DNS settings should already be correct, but you can check this in your admin by going to Online store > Domains. In the Shopify-managed domains section, click the name of the domain that you want to edit, and click on DNS settings. If you do not see any Shopify managed domains apart from your .myshopify.com URL, then it would be a third-party domain that you have.

If it was a third-party domain, you will need to edit your DNS settings on that siteprior to trying to connect to Shopify. Once this is done, then you can proceed to establish the connection. note it is very important that you only have one A record with a value of 23.227.38.65 and your CNAME record should have a value of shops.myshopify.com, similar to the below.

25-00-fu6pb-fxb35 

If you could share your domain URL, I will be able to check for any differences in the above, to see what the error might be.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

0 Likes
glenn9
2 0 0
Thanks Hank

I've read all about changing the DNS settings, they are very clear on you
site which is great, but I have no idea who my provider is. I have no login
information. I was sent a link after purchasing the domain from Shopify to
epag domain services which said there was nothing I needed to do. I
contacted them about changing DNS settings and they said I need to get in
touch with my provider who was shopify, I've also heard the same thing from
tucows.

How am I supposed to change the DNS settings when I don't know where they.

Thanks for your help

domain is seventhproject.nz
0 Likes
MaskDirectNZ
1 0 0

Hi Hank,

I've also purchased a domain name from Shopify: maskdirect.co.nz

However, it says Not Connected. When I click "retry connection" it comes up that the CNAME and A Record are entered incorrectly. I was under the assumption that these would be automatically completed by Shopify. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Sophie

0 Likes
Hank
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1075 120 169

Thank you for sharing your store URL, @glenn9.

I checked it using this website and can see you have the correct A record, and as you mentioned you purchased within Shopify, you can change your DNS settings from within the admin.

Once you are logged in to your admin, click on Online store > Domains and you can manage your domains within that field, as long as they are Shopify managed domains. You should see something similar to the below.

02-54-2vgd0-edq4r

Once you click on manage, you will see the option to view the DNS settings, at the top of the new page.

02-56-0z121-eq1f6Let me know how you get on!

0 Likes
Hank
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1075 120 169

Hi, @MaskDirectNZ, thanks for reaching out about this!

Did you manage to get this issue resolved? I am not seeing that domain connected when I search for this. 

Sometimes with domains, it can take up to 48-hours for propagation to occur, but you are correct that once a domain is purchased within Shopify, the DNS settings should be correct.

There is also the case that there may be another issue with your store that may be causing the domain to not point correctly.

Would it be possible to reply with a screenshot of what your admin looks like in Online store > Domains, and I can see if there is anything that may be causing this issue for you?

0 Likes