Domain Redirect versus A Record change and cloaking

Lesliev
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello, I have searched the forum but could not find an answer to the following question:

I have a thrid party domain with CPanel access and I have set it to redirect to my Shopify site.  I see an option to bypass that redirect by adding an A record to my domain via the cpanel but as the redirect is working perfectly OK I am not sure of the value in putting an A record in place.

If anyone can offer any comments on the best option of the two options available I would love some advice.

Also is it possible to cloak the Shopify URL and show only my domain name.  I have activated cloaking at the CPanel but it is not working at the Shopify site.

Hope to hear from someone

Reply 1 (1)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

Hi, @Lesliev

I'm not too familiar with the features CPanel provides, so I can't give you guidance on cloaking, but I can provide you with information on what we need to add your domain to Shopify. 

When pointing a domain to Shopify, the "A" record would need to point to 23.227.38.65, and the Cname record would point to shops.myshopify.com. These are required in order for your domain to be added to your admin and work with your Shopify store. Any additional records (A, AAAA) may cause connection issues, or result in not being able to obtain an SSL certificate. 

Once your domain is added to your Shopify admin, then you can set your domain as the primary domain. Doing so will ensure that your purchased domain appears when viewing the store instead of the ".myshopify.com" URL. 

I would advise setting up your domain using the methods above instead of using the features CPanel provides to ensure that your domain works correctly with your Shopify store. If you'd prefer to use the features CPanel provides, then you'll need to reach out to their support for further clarification on how to set up the features they provide. 

You can find more information on domains through our help centre here

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog