Domain Transfer

premature
1 0 0

I recently migrated my site from Squarespace to Shopify. Once my site was finished on Shopify, I transferred my domain name over and now my website isn't working at all. It says that setup is in progress, but it's been about a week. Any idea what I can do to resolve this?

0 Likes
Rae
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
895 63 253

Hi, @premature

My name is Rae and I work for Shopify. Welcome to our platform! I'm happy to help out with this question. 

Did you follow these steps when you transferred your domain over to Shopify? In particular, following step two here and connecting your domain to your Shopify account first will ensure your domain works correctly during the transfer. However, if you didn't connect your domain to Shopify before starting this process, then connection errors may appear on your site.

With that information in mind, can you please clarify what happens when you visit your domain now? If you're seeing any errors, just reply back to me here with a screenshot of these errors so that I can take a closer look. 

It's also important to note that domain transfers can take up to 20 days to complete. Our help document here outlines some more details on this. Once the transfer is ready to complete, you will receive an email to confirm this on your end, so please keep an eye on your inbox, as well as your spam/junk folder in case that email lands there by mistake. To ensure you receive this email, you'll also need to make that your email address isn't attached to the domain you want to transfer. For instance, if the domain you're transferring is johns-apparel.com, then it's best to avoid using the email address info@johns-apparel.com. Check out our FAQ for more information on this.

If more than 20 days have passed and you still haven't received an update on your transfer, just reply back to me here and let me know.

Equally, if you have any other questions or concerns about this process, I'm here to help out! 

Rae | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
stevielaney
2 0 0

Hi there,

I’m having similar issues. My domain is definitely unlocked, but when transferring, I’m told that it’s not unlocked.

I am not able to get to the Verification code step.

I have a verification code. 

Please help,

Stevie

0 Likes
Rae
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
895 63 253

Hi, @stevielaney

Thanks for reaching out about the troubles you're running into. I can lend a hand here! 

To clarify, are you looking to transfer a domain from a third-party host over to Shopify? If so, it sounds like you've worked through these steps to prepare your domain for transfer, and have received an authorization code, which is excellent. 

Next, follow these steps to start the transfer process on Shopify's end. If you see a message stating 'DOMAIN LOCKED' when you reach step 6, just work through these steps again to prepare your domain for transfer. You may need to also contact your domain provider directly to ensure your domain is unlocked on their end. However, if you're running into a different error message at this stage instead, please let me know what error you're seeing. 

In the meantime though, as mentioned above, make sure to review these considerations before starting the domain transfer process. 

Keep me posted on how this goes and if you're running into any errors along the way. 

Best, 

0 Likes
stevielaney
2 0 0
Hi there,
So, I have tried all of these things. I have contacted my domain provider and they have informed me that there is no reason the domain shouldn’t transfer. It is unlocked and has been and I keep getting the “domain is locked”.
Please help me transfer my domain
Thank you,
Stevie
0 Likes
Rae
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
895 63 253

Hi, @stevielaney

Thanks for getting back to me with these details. 

Are you using a domain that ends in '.ca'? If so, this domain may not be eligible for transfer. To find out if this applies to your domain, please try out these steps

It's also important to confirm that: 

• Your domain has been registered with your current provider for more than 60 days. 
  • Your domain is in an active state with your current provider. 
  • Content privacy is turned off on your domain, if you have this feature. You can confirm this by speaking with your current provider. 
  • You still have access to your original account with your domain provider, as well as the email account you use to log into your domain provider account. 

Please let me know if these factors apply to your domain, and I'll be happy to confirm the next best steps.

0 Likes