Domain (email) from Enom

Solved
Munkho
2 0 0

Hello,

I have 2 questions regarding my domain purchased year ago at Enom (Hover now). 

1) when connecting my Shopify shop with my domain www.noosconcept.com I had two options:

• connect existing domain 
  • transfer domain (after trying the first option with no success for few hours I tried this) 

Now the domain and shop are connected. But I don't know which one worked. Connect or transfer? Did I really have to transfer? 

2) I have also purchased domain email from same provider Enom. Now I would like to use the email. What should I do?

0 Likes
Moira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
62 12 15

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @Munkho!

This is Moira from the Social Care team at Shopify.

Thanks for posting, and a very warm welcome to the Community! I understand you have a few queries regarding the domain you purchased through Enom/Hover. I'd be more than happy to explain how this integrates with Shopify.

Connecting your third-party domain

When purchasing a domain from Enom/Hover, this is considered a third-party domain as it was not purchased directly through Shopify. You have the option to either connect it or completely transfer the domain over to Shopify.

If you were to connect an existing domain, this would mean you still use your third-party domain provider (Hover) to manage your domain settings, pay for your domain, and renew it. Whereas if you were to transfer your domain, you would manage all of your domain settings directly in your Shopify admin. You can adjust your domain settings, create subdomains, pay for your domain, and renew your domain on the Domains page.

So the best way to tell whether the connect or transfer worked on your website will be to check and see if you have access to your domain settings via online store > domains > manage. If you are able to see your DNS settings this means you have transferred the domain to Shopify.

21-07-a3zdv-k1zv3

You mentioned that you had some trouble when trying to connect the existing domain. Did you run into any error messages? It's possible that some DNS settings may not have been adjusted via the Hover website. When connecting a third party domain you need to edit the DNS settings in the domain host's account to:

• Point the A (@) record to Shopify's IP address, which is 23.227.38.65

• Point the CNAME (www) record to shops.myshopify.com

Using your domain email

Email forwarding is a service that lets you direct an email from your custom domain to an existing email account. If you buy a domain through Shopify or transfer your domain to Shopify, then you can set up an unlimited number of forwarding email addresses for free. For example, if your Shopify-managed domain is noosconcept.com, then you can set up the forwarding email address info@noosconcept.com.

If you purchased your domain from a third party, then the process for setting up your email forwarding is different. I have linked step by step guides for both scenarios below:

That said, since email hosting is not provided through Shopify, if you want to send an email from your custom domain forwarding address, or respond to one, then you will need to use a third-party email hosting service. Here are a few that we recommend: 

While I was checking out your store I noticed that you don't have a favicon (also known as a shortcut icon, website icon) yet. It adds legitimacy to your store and helps boost your online branding as well as trust from potential consumers. It will help your customers see your store immediately in their bookmarks or browser history. You can check this video tutorial about adding a favicon to your store to serve as your guide and reference.

If you have any questions please feel free to thread those below.

Cheers!

Moira | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes