How can I stop a domain from redirecting to my primary store domain?

Maukapens
4 0 0

I don't want one of the domains that I purchased on shopify to link with my primary / store domain (also on Shopify).  I've tried removing the subdomain under the Subdomains section in Shopify's main Domains section and I've also tried "disabling redirection" from the Primary Domain section within the Shopify Domain main menu.  It keeps redirecting anyway when I enter the non-primary domain in the url.  I've tried erasing cookies, but with no effect. Can someone please help?

Replies 23 (23)

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hello, @Maukapens .

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for this inquiry.

I understand you want don’t want one of your Shopify-managed domain to connect to your store. Removing the subdomain will help to remove the ‘www.website.com’ address; however, ‘website.com’ will still be present. There are two options to consider to disable this domain. 

The first option, if you have a particular place to point this domain, you can edit the DNS. By changing both the A Record and CNAME Record, you can point the domain to a different website or location. This method will also allow you to continue to use this domain outside of Shopify.

05-30-kyo99-8grvg

The second option is to remove the Shopify-managed domain completely, which will require contacting Shopify Support and I can take care of this for you. Keep in mind, this method will also require contacting Shopify to reconnect to your domain, especially for instances like domain renewal. If you do not plan to use this domain, remember to disable auto-renewal for this domain. 

Before we proceed with the next steps, may I know your preference?

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Annabelle16
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello,

I am having the same issue.

I have created a new domain, and disabled the Traffic from other domains to be redirected to this primary domain. However when I search my old domain name it stills automatically directs to the new domain.

Can you please help?

Thank you.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hey, @Annabelle16.

Thanks for joining the thread! I understand you've created a new domain and disabled the redirection to your primary domain; however, the domain is still redirecting to your primary domain. For other readers in the community joining this thread, enabling or disabling the domain redirection can be found under 'Online store > Domains' and we also have a guide on that - Redirecting a domain.

Here's a screenshot of how the function looks like from the admin: 

07-45-qvl9m-l7gyj

With domain or DNS changes, it may take some time for the changes to take effect. With that being said, can you confirm if the issue is persisting? If so, can you share a screenshot or short video of the issue on your end?

Thank you!

oxfhealthspan
9 0 0

I'm facing a similar issue. I've recently added a '.co.uk' domain and although I've disabled redirection to primary domain, it still redirects me to the primary '.com' domain. I've tried following your steps, but there is no 'disable redirection' button. However, my SSL is still pending, so could it be because of that?

Thanks.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hey, @oxfhealthspan.

Thank you for joining the thread! The disable redirection button, as shown in my screenshot earlier in the thread, is for the Basic Shopify plan. If you're on the Shopify plan or higher, the redirection button will appear after clicking the 'Manage' button. From there, you can disable the redirection and/or choose a target country/region. 

That being said, if the SSL is still pending, then the domain might not be fully functional yet - So it may still be redirecting to the primary domain. Has the SSL status changed since then?

Also, is this the first '.co,uk' domain you've purchased?

If so, there may be separate domain verification email sent to you after the purchase - Did you get a chance to verify the domain?

oxfhealthspan
9 0 0

Yes, it is the first .co.uk domain I've purchased. No, I haven't received a confirmation for the domain. How do I get one?

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hey, @oxfhealthspan.

Thanks for following up!

Your domain provider should send you the domain verification email. If you've purchased the domain on Shopify, we can have that resent to you. That being said, where did you purchase your '.co.uk' domaiin?

JalishaT
Visitor
2 0 0

Hello,

I need help to as well, I've been trying to connect my domain for the past days now, I do know that it take 48 hrs for the DNS to take effect. Today make two days since i set up my DNS but my domain still wont connect. My third-party is set up to as well as my CNAME which is shops.myshopify.com and also the right IP address which is  23.227.38.65 but still nothing. 

Can you please help?

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hey, @JalishaT.

Thank you for joining the thread! You definitely have the correct DNS records for connecting a third-party domain to Shopify. However, since it's a third-party domain, you may need to contact your domain provider to see where the issue is.

The first step is to check your domain on WHOIS and see if the DNS shows up properly. Simply enter your custom domain, then click the "DNS Records" button as shown in my screenshot. If your domain is connected properly, you will be able to see the CNAME and A Record for Shopify. It's also important to note that there shouldn't be any duplicated records, such as having two CNAME records or two A Records. Although you see two A Records in my test store, they are actually both pointing to Shopify.

03-56-zqh3n-fy4f5

If you aren't seeing our DNS records for you domain on WHOIS, then you'll need to contact your domain provider for further assistance and they will be able to add our DNS records for you. 

With that being said, which domain provider are you using? 

JalishaT
Visitor
2 0 0
I’m using go daddy
oxfhealthspan
9 0 0

It was purchased on Squarespace.

oxfhealthspan
9 0 0

The domain was bought through Squarespace. I've just updated the CNAME and A records. However, I still don't know how to send an email verification. Will I need it?

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hey, @oxfhealthspan & @JalishaT.

Thank you both for following up!

If you're not seeing our DNS records in WHOIS for your domain, please contact your domain provider and they'll be able to assist you with updating your domain's DNS records.

As for the domain verification email, this is typically sent to you after you purchase a domain. It's important to verify your domain, so that your domain doesn't get suspended. If you aren't able to find the verification email, you'll also want to contact your domain provider and they can have that resent to you. 

If the issues persist after contacting your domain providers, simply let me know your URL and I'd be happy to take another look!

Benjamin_Graham
Shopify Partner
6 0 3

You no longer offer phone support, I'm having the same issue.

I need to delete, cancel and remove the old domain.

Can you assist?

Thanks

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hey, @Benjamin_Graham.

Welcome to the thread! 

We've switched to a callback system, so that you can spend less time on-hold and more on your store. If you prefer speaking to our Support team over the phone, you can request a callback directly on our Help Center. Simply log into your account and you'll be prompted to search a topic. Our Help Center will then share any relevant resources to your search and, if you don't see what you're looking for, a button to get further support from our Support team will appear just below the list of resources. We also have a step-by-step guide on contacting our Support team here.

I understand you're looking to remove the domain and I'd be happy to assist you as well - Were you looking to transfer the domain to a different platform or another store on Shopify? Also, have you disabled the automatic domain renewal already?

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6275 574 1324

Also https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Discussion/An-update-to-our-phone-support/m-p/752407 

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

Katman
Shopify Partner
32 1 6

Hi @Elias 

I have a question about using sub domains here on shopify.

When creating a sub domain and then choosing the option 'dont redirect to primary domain' will this mess up any of the existing SEO or google indexing/crawling for an existing store?

Reason behind this question..
My boss wants to change how our primary domain is landed on. Right now our Shopify store loads when accessing our primary domain but I need to change that up because he would like an information page to load instead (this will be a wordpress based page that'll be on another webhost), and on that page would be a link in the navigation to access our store. I wanted to make shop.xxxx.com the new store url but im worried about messing up the SEO, internal store links, and google indexing stuff etc. I've already pre-created the subdomain in our shopify domain settings and it currently redirects to the primary domain. 

I found this tutorial that be my solution but wanted to get your feedback.
https://liquify.design/all/setup-shopify-store-subdomain/

Any help on this would be golden! thanks.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hi, @Katman.

Thank you for joining the thread and posting this question!

I understand you're looking to connect a subdomain to Shopify and point the primary domain to another website. While I can confirm that you can connect a subdomain to Shopify; however, I'm unable to confirm how this will impact the existing SEO.

That being said, as suggested by the guide you've shared, I'd recommend checking with a SEO expert as well. This way, you have the most accurate information before moving forward. If you need help finding a SEO expert, you can find one on Shopify Experts. The SEO experts will be able to help you take additional steps for preserving your Google/SEO rating. 

I hope this points you in the right direction! If you have any other questions on this, don't hesitate to let me know!

mhernandez
Visitor
1 0 0

@Elias We are having an issue somewhat along the same lines and at a loss for how to move forward.

Our internal domain ends in .com (as opposed to .local) and it is causing conflicts with name resolution when anyone inside the network attempts to browse to our external website. In this scenario the only way around it would be to type 'www.website.com' but when we do this in any browser Shopify redirects it to 'website.com' which confuses our local DNS server.

Is there is a way to keep WWW in the web address, or have it always redirect to 'www.website.com'? We are using a third party domain through Network Solutions, and have a CNAME WWW record going to shops.myshopify.com, as instructed. Unfortunately renaming our local domain is not an option.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hey, @mhernandez.

Welcome to the thread!

While I'm not sure if you can change the .com to .local; however, it is possible to change the redirection for your website to 'www.website.com.' Once you've connected your domain and added both of our DNS records, you can simply change the primary domain (located under 'Online store > Domains'). 

Let me know if this is what you're looking for?

Benjamin_Graham
Shopify Partner
6 0 3

Thanks I have fixed the problem!

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hey, @Benjamin_Graham.

Thank you so much for following up!

I'm glad to hear that the issue has been resolved. Nevertheless, since there may be other community members dealing with the same issue and coming across this thread, may I ask which course of action helped you resolve the issue?

Were you able to get assistance from our Support team through the Shopify Help Center?

Benjamin_Graham
Shopify Partner
6 0 3

Hi and sorry I didn't receive an email notification but this was some time ago. I believe I updated all the DNS records correctly and it fixed itself in time....it was some time ago though! Ta