Domain redirect

Maukapens
4 0 0

I don't want one of the domains that I purchased on shopify to link with my primary / store domain (also on Shopify).  I've tried removing the subdomain under the Subdomains section in Shopify's main Domains section and I've also tried "disabling redirection" from the Primary Domain section within the Shopify Domain main menu.  It keeps redirecting anyway when I enter the non-primary domain in the url.  I've tried erasing cookies, but with no effect. Can someone please help?

0 Likes
Elias
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
855 81 113

Hello, @Maukapens .

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for this inquiry.

I understand you want don’t want one of your Shopify-managed domain to connect to your store. Removing the subdomain will help to remove the ‘www.website.com’ address; however, ‘website.com’ will still be present. There are two options to consider to disable this domain. 

The first option, if you have a particular place to point this domain, you can edit the DNS. By changing both the A Record and CNAME Record, you can point the domain to a different website or location. This method will also allow you to continue to use this domain outside of Shopify.

05-30-kyo99-8grvg

The second option is to remove the Shopify-managed domain completely, which will require contacting Shopify Support and I can take care of this for you. Keep in mind, this method will also require contacting Shopify to reconnect to your domain, especially for instances like domain renewal. If you do not plan to use this domain, remember to disable auto-renewal for this domain. 

Before we proceed with the next steps, may I know your preference?

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Annabelle16
1 0 0

Hello,

I am having the same issue.

I have created a new domain, and disabled the Traffic from other domains to be redirected to this primary domain. However when I search my old domain name it stills automatically directs to the new domain.

Can you please help?

Thank you.

0 Likes
Elias
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
855 81 113

Hey, @Annabelle16.

Thanks for joining the thread! I understand you've created a new domain and disabled the redirection to your primary domain; however, the domain is still redirecting to your primary domain. For other readers in the community joining this thread, enabling or disabling the domain redirection can be found under 'Online store > Domains' and we also have a guide on that - Redirecting a domain.

Here's a screenshot of how the function looks like from the admin: 

07-45-qvl9m-l7gyj

With domain or DNS changes, it may take some time for the changes to take effect. With that being said, can you confirm if the issue is persisting? If so, can you share a screenshot or short video of the issue on your end?

Thank you!

0 Likes
oxfhealthspan
9 0 0

I'm facing a similar issue. I've recently added a '.co.uk' domain and although I've disabled redirection to primary domain, it still redirects me to the primary '.com' domain. I've tried following your steps, but there is no 'disable redirection' button. However, my SSL is still pending, so could it be because of that?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Elias
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
855 81 113

Hey, @oxfhealthspan.

Thank you for joining the thread! The disable redirection button, as shown in my screenshot earlier in the thread, is for the Basic Shopify plan. If you're on the Shopify plan or higher, the redirection button will appear after clicking the 'Manage' button. From there, you can disable the redirection and/or choose a target country/region. 

That being said, if the SSL is still pending, then the domain might not be fully functional yet - So it may still be redirecting to the primary domain. Has the SSL status changed since then?

Also, is this the first '.co,uk' domain you've purchased?

If so, there may be separate domain verification email sent to you after the purchase - Did you get a chance to verify the domain?

0 Likes
oxfhealthspan
9 0 0

Yes, it is the first .co.uk domain I've purchased. No, I haven't received a confirmation for the domain. How do I get one?

0 Likes
Elias
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
855 81 113

Hey, @oxfhealthspan.

Thanks for following up!

Your domain provider should send you the domain verification email. If you've purchased the domain on Shopify, we can have that resent to you. That being said, where did you purchase your '.co.uk' domaiin?

0 Likes
JalishaT
2 0 0

Hello,

I need help to as well, I've been trying to connect my domain for the past days now, I do know that it take 48 hrs for the DNS to take effect. Today make two days since i set up my DNS but my domain still wont connect. My third-party is set up to as well as my CNAME which is shops.myshopify.com and also the right IP address which is  23.227.38.65 but still nothing. 

Can you please help?

0 Likes
Elias
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
855 81 113

Hey, @JalishaT.

Thank you for joining the thread! You definitely have the correct DNS records for connecting a third-party domain to Shopify. However, since it's a third-party domain, you may need to contact your domain provider to see where the issue is.

The first step is to check your domain on WHOIS and see if the DNS shows up properly. Simply enter your custom domain, then click the "DNS Records" button as shown in my screenshot. If your domain is connected properly, you will be able to see the CNAME and A Record for Shopify. It's also important to note that there shouldn't be any duplicated records, such as having two CNAME records or two A Records. Although you see two A Records in my test store, they are actually both pointing to Shopify.

03-56-zqh3n-fy4f5

If you aren't seeing our DNS records for you domain on WHOIS, then you'll need to contact your domain provider for further assistance and they will be able to add our DNS records for you. 

With that being said, which domain provider are you using? 

0 Likes