Dropdown not showing sold out with two variants in Simple Theme

Highlighted
2 0 0

I am new at all of this and any help appreciated greatly!  I have looked really hard to try to find the answer because I hate asking for help.  But here I am.

I am working in Simple Theme and would actually like for our product to show as Sold Out instead of being hidden.  It does this when there is just one variant.  But when there are two variants, it just disappears from the drop down list when the inventory is 0.  

Our product is very specific so people are looking for just one specific name.  If they click on it and it shows Sold Out, they will know it is already taken.  If they don't see it on the list, they won't know if it is sold out or if it has just been overlooked for that event.  I would like to know if there is an option when using two variants to show it as Sold Out.  

Thank you,

Lola

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
689 40 93

Hi, @LolaDavis !

Katy here from Shopify. I hope all is well with you, and welcome to our Community.

It is great that you have done some digging and research on this yourself, but there is absolutely no problem at all in asking for help. Our Community members and Support team are happy to assist you.

I'd love to look into this that bit closer with you. Usually, it is helpful if you could include a link to your store, as this allows our Community members to help you out that bit faster. However in saying this, I have done some testing on my own store using the latest version of the Simple theme (Version 10.5.3), and my sold-out variants do indeed appear (albeit with the sold-out message) as expected. Let me show you:

09-14-903l9-w7fbg

I am now wondering, had you installed any apps recently, or made any edits to your theme's code that you are aware of?

There is a guide that we have in our Help Center, which offers steps to hide sold-out variants. Perhaps you or a member of your team had followed this previously? 

I do suggest to check on this, or indeed to test it out using another version of the Simple theme on your store. You can download this and use it to help cross-check any changes which may have been made.

Do feel free to let me know how you get on, or indeed if you have any questions at all. I am happy to help where I can!

Cheers, 

Katy

Katy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
2 0 0

Hi Katy -

Thank you for helping me figure this out.  I haven't installed any apps because I'm not that advanced yet.  I have had to go in to make a couple of changes on the code. One of those was to temporarily take away the ability to put things in the shopping cart while our site was being reviewed.  I removed that code once we the review was completed.  I also added the code to require acknowledgement of terms and conditions before being able to check out.  

Our store is www.ggavendors.com and our product is actually available space at vendor shows.  Some events are for more than one day and they have options of one table or more.  We have an agreement not to book multiple people representing the same line at the same event.  For ease, I just set it up for them to be able to sign up for the entire event and the full amount of tables.  If they need something different, they can contact us directly for scheduling - we just don't want to make it available online for someone to book Saturday only and someone else then books Saturday and Sunday.  

The drop down list includes all the names we are trying to keep from duplicating at events.  In this example, we have had someone already purchase the spot for Scentsy and there was only one in inventory.  When it reduced down to zero, it removed Scentsy from the drop down list instead of being able to click on the options and see that it is Sold Out.  It shows Sold Out on the events that do not have multiple variants - single day, one table type of events.  

Shopify forum.png

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
689 40 93

Thanks so much for your reply, @LolaDavis  and for letting me know some more context on both your business set up and indeed the changes which you have applied.

As the default settings should allow for you to do this, it is likely something from within your code. I would imagine that some of the custom code which has/had been applied, may have interfered in some way.

I'm not able to spot this offhand here. However, in order to help examine this, would you be able to test rolling back your code to its original state, either within your: theme.liquid or within your product-template.liquid? We have some info to help you with this here.

Once you roll this back, you can see if this brings back this functionality for you. Then from here, you can use a free tool such as Diffchecker, to compare the differences between the original code, and your custom coding.

While examining your store, I also noticed that your drop-down menus are not set up correctly just yet.

12-11-wipd7-pl5ev

We have some information on how to link these here which may help.

Also,  I understand you are not looking to add an app just yet, but given the nature of your business overall, I feel that you may really benefit from this. I was having a look to find some for you which have a free plan, or a free trial which you could test out to see how you found it. I've included these for you below:

There are some additional options here too if you would like to have a look, in your own time. 

Do please let me know how you get on with the above steps.  If rolling back and cross-checking your changes does not do the trick we can take a look into this with our Theme support directly from here.

Cheers,
Katy

Katy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes