Dropinblog and Gempages (apps I deleted) are breaking my first blog

Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 3

Hi all,

So I blog a lot on my shopify website. In the beginning I have tried some apps for blogging: Dropinblog & Gempages. Both very unusefull in my opinion. I deleted the app after using it in my first ever blog. 

Now (one year later) I cleaned up some code. But apparently in that first blog there were still some references to the css or liquids from those apps. Now when I open that first blog, all the content disappears after 1 micro second.

This is some code (found in inspect element in browser) referring to DropinBlog:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="https://dropinblog.com/css/shopify.css" type="text/css">

This is some code (found in inspect element in browser) referring to Gempages:
<script type="text/javascript" src="//cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0260/1087/8036/t/1/assets/gem-article-30279532628.js?2056"></script>

<body class="template-article gempage">
<script data-instant-track="" type="text/javascript"> var pageLibs = [ '//cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0260/1087/8036/t/1/assets/gem-article-30279532628.js?2056', ];</script>

<script data-instant-track="" type="text/javascript" src="https://d1um8515vdn9kb.cloudfront.net/files/gempagev1.js?v=1.0" class="gf-script" defer=""></script>

What can I do to solve this?
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 3

Update:

Now the issue with the blog is fixed, but:

Now on my homepage it says on top: 

Liquid error: Could not find asset snippets/dropinblog-head.liquid

I wish I did not download DropinBlog ever lol. 

Highlighted
2 0 0

I deleted Gempages but the themes are still there.  How did you get rid of Gempages completely?  Thanks,

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi Tobias,

I saw you sorted this via support. Just a note we don't have the ability to strip the couple snippets we put in the theme when upon app removal

However we are working on some documentation for this so it's easier. That said it should be pretty innocuous. We haven't had any reports of it causing any issues.

What can we do to make DropInBlog a better solution for your content marketing needs?

What's the Best Blog for Shopify? DropInBlog vs. Shopify’s Blog vs. Wordpress
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 0

So if I try out this app what is it going to do to leave in the coding of my stores theme if I decide it's not worth it?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 3

Thanks for asking my suggestion on how to do this better. 

What I recommend DropInBlog is:

Create a blog/document where you write down  all locations of the codes in shopify where DropInBlog places snippets. That way people can delete all the code after deleting the app. 

I used the app. Then I deleted the app and a lot of code was still in my liquids. It made my website slower. In the end I have found all the codes manually. And I have deleted them. Can't name all the codes and locations. 

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 0

Got it and thank you. Did you find a good alternative or work-around to Dropinblog for Shopify? I'm actually considering moving to Bigcommerce as they have a better native blog for seo but I would obviously not like to go through that process if I can find a better alternative with Shopify.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hey folks,

Just an update here. We've published an official "how to" to remove any small remnants when doing an uninstall here: https://dropinblog.com/blog/shopify-app-clean-up/

A few notes:

1. The small code that DropInBlog puts in your theme is nothing that's going to effect performance. We don't have any JS files or anything heavy.
  2. Many apps make some small changes to your theme, it's needed to make them function as expected. It's good practice to make a backup of your theme before installing any plugins just in case any conflicts arise.
  3. We're constantly developing DropInBlog so if there were any features missing when you gave it a try last let us know and maybe we'll include them in the next build... or maybe they've already been included

What's the Best Blog for Shopify? DropInBlog vs. Shopify’s Blog vs. Wordpress
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 3

That is good news. Good work!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 3

I have now great success with a thing called html.. lol. But seriously: I do everything in the standard blog section in Shopify and with html you can do so much. A bit of css added to your code and you get amazing articles with beautyful tables of content. The seo I just search in Google Keywords. 

0 Likes