Duplicate H1 Tags Across Pages - Tagged Blog Posts

ariana_ns
2 0 0

I've recently run an SEO check software on my website and it shows that 30% of my H1 tags are duplicates of one another. I have a blog on my website and tag my blog posts. I can see that the pages that have duplicate H1's occur when a blog tag is clicked and the new page opens showing all blog posts that contain that tag. The H1 is always the name of my blog. 

For example, my blog is called The Black Trumpet. If I have a blog post that is tagged "mushrooms" and I click that tag at the bottom of the post, a page opens with an H1 of "The Black Trumpet" and an H2 of "Mushrooms." Similarly, if I click on a tag at the bottom of the post that says "beginner," a page opens with an H1 of "The Black Trumpet" and an H2 of "beginner." Therefore, anytime I click on one of these blog tags, the new page has an H1 of "The Black Trumpet." 

Is it possible to change this so that rather than the H1 being the name of the blog, "The Black Trumpet," instead it could be the tag, such as "mushrooms" or "beginner"? That way I would have different H1 tags on all of these pages. Is this even something I should be concerned about? I am not very familiar with canonicals and perhaps those negate the duplicate H1 issue? Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Likes
BrianAtWork
Shopify Partner
242 58 144

Hi @ariana_ns,

Welcome to the Shopify Community!

I understand that when you run an SEO check on your store, it shows a lot of duplicate H1 tags.

You should be concerned about this. It's important to optimize the structure of your store's HTML code.

Most Shopify themes use H1 tags for the blog post title ("Mushrooms"), not the blog's name ("The Black Trumpet").

You will need to edit your theme's code in order to fix the problem. I may be able to help you with this.

What theme are you using? – and will you share a link to your store?

Cheers!

Brian | Shopify Partner | Ecommerce Consultant
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution  
 - Need further assistance? Visit www.BrianAtWork.com

0 Likes
ariana_ns
2 0 0

Hi @BrianAtWork,

Thanks so much for your reply. I am using the Pacific theme by Pixel Union. 

Here is a link to the homepage https://northspore.com and a link to one of the pages that contains this issue https://northspore.com/blogs/the-black-trumpet/tagged/shiitake.

0 Likes
BrianAtWork
Shopify Partner
242 58 144

Hi @ariana_ns,

I've reviewed your store's code. The best way to fix this is to edit your blog's theme template file:

1. If blog post tag is present, then:
    1. Swap the HTML <h1> tag with a <div>
    2. Swap the <h2> tag with a <h1> tag
    3. Swap the <h3> tags with <h2> tags
    4. Add three new styles, so that everything looks exactly the same as before.

There's normally one specific file that needs to be edited. The name of the file depends on your theme. The file may be called either: blog.liquid or blog-template.liquid.

The styles that must be conditionally applied whenever a tag is present, will look similar to this:

<style>
  .page-header .page-title {
    line-height: 1.25;
    font-size: 30px;
    font-family: Raleway,sans-serif;
    font-weight: 700;
    color: #303030;
    letter-spacing: 0.1em;
    text-transform: uppercase;
  }

.main-content h1 {
    margin-top: 1.22em;
    margin-bottom: 0.9em;
    font-size: 20px;
  }

.main-content .post-title {
    font-size: 17px;
  }
</style>

You can make the code changes yourself – but I am willing to trade my services and handle this for you, in exchange for some of your culinary mushrooms. Whatever kind and amount that you feel is fair. They look so wonderful!

Do let me know if you're interested.

Brian | Shopify Partner | Ecommerce Consultant
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution  
 - Need further assistance? Visit www.BrianAtWork.com

0 Likes
ValtersLauzums
1 0 0

Hi,

I may be experiencing the same problems with pointkarting.com the same problem with the Blog and tags, having the duplicate from SEMrush (duplicate of title tags).

Theme: Venture

0 Likes