Duplicate meta title workaround

Highlighted
Shopify Expert
43 0 9

Hi - I have just launched a store, but am getting numerous duplicate meta titles due to the way shopify manages collections. For example, the one product appears on all of these urls:

store.com/products/product-here

store.com/collections/all-products/product-here

store.com/collections/coffee/product-here

I have the canonical tag in the template, but it's not preventing this and I'm not sure if it can anyway. My other idea was to put a conditional in the theme to inseert the collection title into the meta title when the shop was on a product page, but I'd need some help in that. 

Are there any pointers out there for me?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
465 0 35

What is the actual URL?

Are you actually getting duplicate meta titles on the collection pages or the actual product pages? 
If it is product pages then likely the canonical isn't done right in the theme.

Trevor www.carlowseo.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
465 0 35

Hi Dilby,

Who is telling you they are duplicate content? Google?

Trevor www.carlowseo.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
43 0 9

3 different brands of seo software I have. Is it a case of yes they are technically duplicate but google itself are the ones who recognise the canonical tag and take that into account?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
43 0 9

3 different SEO software bundles that I use. Is it a case that Google take the canonical tag into account, so I can ignore issues with other software even thought the duplications technically do exist?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
465 0 35

Some how I saw a response via email to the post but it isn't here anymore. Yes most of the time Google will see title's differently than "SEO Packages"

Trevor www.carlowseo.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

I have the same problem and I can't get a clear answer. Most likely this is a global flaw in the system, unfortunately ...

0 Likes