Duplicate product, wrong URL.

2 0 0

Hi, so I have added over 200 products to my shopify store over the last couple of weeks, many by hitting the duplicate product button to save time on adding tags/price etc.  But I am only now noticing that the URL for the product stays as 'copy of *****'  instead of saying the new product description. 

When I go to change the URL in the search engine listing preview section while editing product, it says something about redirecting the URL.  If I change the url to the new product title for all of the products I have duplicated, will it slow down my website due to many re directions?  And is there a faster way to change all of the URLs instead of doing them all manually.

Many thanks if you can help,

Cheers!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
248 9 51

You only really need to do a redirect if you were getting traffic to those product pages and want to preserve it. If there is practically no traffic to them there's not much point having a 301 cus no-ones going to be going to the old url.

0 Likes
2 0 0

Thanks for your reply!

I guess my issue is when I click a product the URL does not match up with the product title as it often says 'copy of **whatever the title of the product I copied**" instead of what the new product title is.  I can change this easily at the bottom of the edit product page but I am worried this will slow down the website.

0 Likes
3 0 1

Hi,

I'm having the same problem, did you solve it?

thanks!

1 Like
Excursionist
23 0 1

@Solstice 

Hi, same problem did anyone find a solution?

Br, John

0 Likes