Dynamic Content On Product Page

Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

Hi,

I am hoping I can get some help with my product page.

I'm using the Debut theme and I have hardcoded a summary/subtitle in the product-template.liquid which gives a brief summary of the product and appears nicely under the heading before the price etc.

Now that I am adding more products to my store I need to make this dynamic and am confused as to how to go about this.

Should I make a custom product page for each product?

Should I use metafields? Watched a couple of videos on that and don't want to add another app to my store. It seems it can be done through the API, but I don't know where to start with that?

Is there just something more simple that I am missing?

Any help and guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Marc

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
142 23 40

Hi @Marc73

The best way to go about it would probably be to add a metafield app. There are a few good options available; we tend to use Custom Fields a lot, because there's also a Chrome plugin to edit the products directly from the product page in the admin panel. There's also a free plan that would probably cover your needs. Since these kinds of apps don't interfere with your storefront, you want have any issues in terms of load speed.

You can just create a new field, edit it for each product separately and add the metafield code inside your product template; then you should be good to go.

Panos Voulgaris
Creative director / Partner @ MALVI
Founder @ function( )
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

Hi @pvoulg 

Thanks for the reply and the useful info. I did start looking at some apps and I'll go ahead and look at Custom Fields.

To @pvoulg and everyone else,

Is it worth trying to add metafields from the API? Is there a reasonably step by step guide for a non-expert that codes a little.

Also, would creating a unique product template for each product be overkill? Would it cause other problems for your code compared to using metafields?

Best regards,

Marc

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
142 23 40

Given the apps available, I wouldn't bother with the API, if you don't need a fully customized solution and you don't code professionally (tl;dr version: APIs need maintenance).

I would also avoid creating unique product templates, especially if you have more than 2-3 products, because maintaining them would be an absolute nightmare (imagine having to make a minor change, multiple times). The new theme architecture promises to solve these kinds of issues (through dynamic sections), but you'll have to wait for its official release.

Panos Voulgaris
Creative director / Partner @ MALVI
Founder @ function( )
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

Hi @pvoulg 

Thanks for the further details. Much appreciated. Yep, makes sense. I'll take a more detailed look at the apps.

Regards,

Marc