Dynamic Credit Card Surcharges

RachelC
Excursionist
25 0 7

Hi everyone,

May I get some assistance on how to add the option of showing credit card surcharges at check out so I can pass on credit card surcharges to my customers?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Lulu
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
908 87 188

Hey, @RachelC!

Lulu here from the Shopify Support team. Thanks for reaching out here, and I'll be more than happy to help you out.

It's currently not possible to apply a credit card surcharge to your orders via the Shopify admin. However, there are some workarounds I can think of. You could add a handling fee to your shipping rates. This option would apply to all orders but the fee could be applied to the shipping rates as opposed to the products. We have a guide on that here that you can read through and see if it will work for you. 

I also found this app that may help you achieve what you are looking for. The app lets you create any nature of additional fees/charges and add them to a specific product offering. Also, you may create fixed or percentage billing/shipping fees, thus offering your customers to share some of these expenses with you. This way, you can make up for the credit card surcharges that are being charged. Take a look and see what you think!

Separate to your query, I just wanted to say that we're always here to chat with you about how things work on Shopify or any technical aspects you might need assistance with — but you can also ask us all sorts of things. If you want our opinion about your business plan or site layout, even with marketing and growth aspects you're curious about, then be sure to reach out. Almost anything you have questions about when it comes to eCommerce, I've likely at least seen others touch on before and will be glad to help you too! 

I hope this helps but if you have any other questions, feel free to reach back out.

All the best, 

Lulu

Lulu | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
RachelC
Excursionist
25 0 7

Hi @Lulu,

Thank you for your reply and the various solutions. I like the idea of adding handling fee but I cannot seem to add that. Do you mind giving me some directions? Thanks.

Screenshot (7).png

0 Likes
RachelC
Excursionist
25 0 7

Hi @Lulu,

I forgot to mention, I am not using FedEx or UPS or any shipping apps. Is that the reason why the calculated rates button is greyed out?

0 Likes
Lulu
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
908 87 188

Hi, @RachelC!

Thanks for getting back to me. Adding the handling fee would only work if you were using the calculated rates as you would just need to add a flat $ value on top of the estimated rates at checkout. I can see from that screenshot that you are not using them, however, so if you don't want to use the apps then the only thing I can suggest is increasing your product/shipping rates slightly to cover any extra fees you may incur. 

Hope that helps!

Lulu

Lulu | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
RachelC
Excursionist
25 0 7

Hi @Lulu,

Thank you for your reply. I would like to look into some shipping apps (other than order&product fees app). Do you have any suggestions for shipping apps for use in Australia where I could then utilise the calculated rates to add the handling fee? Perhaps an app that could also make managing shipping an easier task?

0 Likes
MultiMull
1 0 0

Hi all,

I've been searching for a solution to CC surcharge options for months now in Shopify platform....

I keep seeing same replies by Shopify support and pointing to the Magworkx app, I have tested this app and had contact with the Magworkx support team:

My question:

hi Mageworx guys,

Ive just installed your app in our Shopify account. 
I want to be able to configure a surcharge for CreditCard fees; depending on CC % (can vary per card type).
Can you point me in the right direction to achieve this?
We run the shop in Australia and here it is very common to charge any CC fees to customers.

Magworkx Reply:
My name is Sabine. Thank you for contacting us.

The thing is that Shopify doesn’t allow adding extra charges for specific payment methods, because a payment method is selected during the checkout only.
Our app can add a processing fee that will be applied to the orders matching available product and cart conditions.

Unfortunately, the payment method chosen during the current user’s checkout flow is not something that Shopify API allows to retrieve by 3rd party apps.

So again it is clear there is NO option for Credit Card surcharge in Shopify or with 3rd party app. I really thing Shopify should address this! If I search here on the community I found out that this request is done by many many users for years now..... It should not be so hard to implement...

For us this is really a deal breaker... we've been running Shopify in test-mode now for some time but I am afraid we'll be looking out for an other webshop platform if there will be no option to charge credit card fees directly to customers.

0 Likes