Editing schema markup? h1 tags? of home page

samrose
Excursionist
19 0 4

Hi!

How can i edit the h1 tags of my home page? How can i edit what search engines see when my home page is indexed?

This is my homepage www.emandahr.com and even though my keywords aren't in the h1 tags, I would still like search engines to register keywords like "paintings" "t-shirts" "posters"... so is there a way to manually change how search engines see my page? 

Reply 1 (1)

Lilith
Shopify Staff
603 73 185

Hi, @samrose!

My name is Lilith, I'm on the Social Care team at Shopify.

Shopify helps to build in the header tags into the pages you create on themes. You can also include rich text or customer HTML sections in your theme if you have that option available in the theme you're using. The rich text or custom HTML sections of content will usually be a good place to add in tags that you're looking for as they are the easiest way to add them into your theme without knowing how to code in-depth snippets.

That said, if you're comfortable with coding there are some adjustments you can make to better optimize those headers in the way that you feel works best for your business. Here is a post that might be a good place to reference as you get started on this.

Along the lines of editing your theme, there are some design and SEO apps that can help you out with placing content and tags where you want them to be. I can't guarantee that all the apps would be free, but there are many that you can choose from that would best fit your budget and SEO needs.

My other tips or pieces of advice are to not overdo the H1 tags, doing so can really hurt your rankings on your store and site as search engines can pick up on overuse of these tags. Keep in mind that using keywords in ways that appeal to readers is a good way to go as well instead of just adding keywords in a list format. A great way to include keywords everywhere on your site is to use them in written content. Again, be strategic in how you use the words making sure that you use high-quality written content and not just a smattering of keywords to build your search rankings. I recommend blogs for this on your site as this can add value for your customers, but also enhance your SEO in the long run!

Lastly, I recommend checking out our SEO optimization guide to help you with some other areas you can improve to help your site rank better on search engines. I particularly think that the section on submitting your sitemaps for indexing your site will be of extraordinary help so that you can refine what search engines will index for your site.

Let me know how you do with the information above! I'm happy to answer any questions you think of as you work on your business.

Lilith | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog