Email help please

Highlighted
1 0 0

I am getting the following emails. Can anyone point in the right direction to identify as to why and how do i fix what is causing it. Many thanks

This is the mail system at host smtp.shopify.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

edited: host edited[128.200.217.249] said: 550 5.1.1
   edited... User unknown (in reply to RCPT TO command)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1314 83 296

Hi, @Loulou.

Typically these emails would come from using a third-party domain that requires SPF records. The bounce-back occurs when our system attempts to send an email on your behalf (emails found in Settings/Notifications), but the email client rejects the email as we are spoofing the customer email listed in Settings/General. 

What you'll want to do is add an SPF record (txt record) to your domain: 

Name: @ 

Value: v=spf1 include:shops.shopify.com ~all20-01-hkqwx-zz2dj

Once added, it can take up to 24 hours to take effect but should resolve the issue you're seeing. 

Let me know if you have any questions!

For security reasons, I have edited out the email shown in your reply

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 5

Hi Peter,

I never had any email issues or bounce back, until 5 days ago.  What has changed or could have changed that requires having to now set up an SPF record? This was done when I built my store.

And the BEST part is that we get the failed to send notifications several days later, not knowing that our customers are not receiving their confirmed shipment notification. 

Domain hosting is with inMotion Hosting and email client is Klaviyo. 

Message received below:

This is the mail system at host smtp.shopify.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<xxxxxxxx@hotmail.com>: host
    hotmail-com.olc.protection.outlook.com[104.47.56.161] said: 451 4.7.650 The
    mail server [34.69.114.229] has been temporarily rate limited due to IP
    reputation. For e-mail delivery information, see
    https://postmaster.live.com (S3113)
    [CO1NAM11FT024.eop-nam11.prod.protection.outlook.com] (in reply to MAIL
    FROM command)

Reporting-MTA: dns; smtp.shopify.com
X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 2DD5BA72D5
X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; admin@mybusinessemailaddress.com
Arrival-Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 14:20:12 +0000 (UTC)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; xxxxxxxx@hotmail.com
Original-Recipient: rfc822;xxxxxxxx@hotmail.com
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; hotmail-com.olc.protection.outlook.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 451 4.7.650 The mail server [34.69.114.229] has been
    temporarily rate limited due to IP reputation. For e-mail delivery
    information, see https://postmaster.live.com (S3113)
    [CO1NAM11FT024.eop-nam11.prod.protection.outlook.com]

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 2
Hello, @Peter I am getting the same delivery problem.

451 4.7.650 The
mail server [34.69.114.229] has been temporarily rate limited due to IP
reputation.

It is only happening with “hotmail.com” MICROSOFT.

Can you please help us fix it?

All my abandoned cart emails are being rejected as well as Oder confirmation emails.

I don’t want my sales to plummet.

Thanks
1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1314 83 296

@MikeIR @MyShoesMexico 

This is currently a known issue with Outlook & Hotmail that our teams are investigating further. We’re seeing some spam folder placement with Microsoft due to some COVID related emails being sent through our platform. We are working diligently to address this issue and prevent further spam from being sent. In the meantime, please encourage your [Hotmail/Outlook/MSN/etc.]** recipients to check their spam folders (“Junk Email Folder” for Microsoft users) for your emails and mark the emails as “It’s not junk”.

If the mail is not in the spam folder, it’s possible that the email may be caught in a temporary processing delay, or has been deleted by Microsoft if the message is > 10 days old. This action of rescuing emails from the junk folder will significantly help Microsoft’s filtering algorithms learn that this is legitimate mail that should be placed in the inbox.

With the new measures we have put in place, we hope that this will minimize the chances that emails will bounce when sending to a Microsoft owned email in the future. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 2
@Peter

Thanks for letting us know Peter.

Just to be 100% clear,

This issue is a Shopify mail server issue with Microsoft correct?

There is nothing wrong with my own domain or the setting with it in my Shopify account correct?

Is there anything Se can do to help other than the advice you gave us The last reply?

Hope this problem gets fix soon so we don’t lose a lot of sales. Our customer service team is receiving a lot of messages from confused clients due to not receiving order confirmation.

Thanks again.
1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 3

Having this same issue - is there a way for us to take full control over email sending?
So we send through our own servers, setup our own DKIM etc?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 5
Hi Peter,

Thank you for the update that this is a Shopify Sever issue. Just have two questions:

1) I followed the suggestions and added the shopify SPF record to my domain TXT. By doing this, will it cause any issues? Since this is a Shopify problem and not my domain.

2) You made the following suggestion - “ please encourage your [Hotmail/Outlook/MSN/etc.]** recipients to check their spam folders (“Junk Email Folder” for Microsoft users) for your emails and mark the emails as “It’s not junk”.

So my question is how are we supposed to communicate the above to customers when they cannot receive our emails??

And the bounce backs are happening to customers placing orders and not getting their order confirmation and tracking number.

Not cool, and very damaging to a business reputation.

A fantastic suggestion would be for SHOPIFY to take this head on, and inform every Shopify customer so we are aware of the issue. Leaving us in the dark, getting stressed and having do do a Google search to find out what the issue is, can be antagonizing.

And even worse, is that I’m not even being notified for a few days that the emails did not go out. This delay can have customers want to walk away.

3 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
49 0 4

Same issue here.

This should actually be a top priority for Shopify to fix but it just keeps happening every day.

Customer's not receiving their order confirmation emails makes stores look very unprofessional and causes a whole range of problems.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1314 83 296

@MyShoesMexico 

That is correct. Bounce back emails that indicate an IP retention issue is something we are working to resolve and does not mean there is an issue with your domain. It should only affect customers who are using a Microsoft email, and should not affect any other email client. 

@buzzpatch 

Order notifications are required and can not be disabled; however, at this time, we do not provide control over when/how these emails are sent. 

@MikeIR 

1) I followed the suggestions and added the shopify SPF record to my domain TXT. By doing this, will it cause any issues? Since this is a Shopify problem and not my domain.

> You do not need to setup SPF records for this specific issue; however, if you have, it should not affect how your domain operates, nor cause any other issues with the email services. 

So my question is how are we supposed to communicate the above to customers when they cannot receive our emails??

> You can try to reach out to the customer via the admin, or natively through your email client. 

Thank you for your feedback on how we can improve our communication in the future. At this time, the issue is impacting a very small number of stores which is why we have not sent out proactive comms surrounding this; however, that is an area where we can improve. I can appreciate that it is a frustrating situation and I assure you that our teams have taken the steps to help mitigate the impact this has on business. 

1 Like