Solved

Empty cart page on checkout or refresh on safari

brendoncrouch
Tourist
4 1 2

Hey guys, I'm having this issue on my store only on apple devices particularly in safari browser. When I try to checkout or refresh cart page, it loses all cart items. If I switch to cart modal instead of cart page, it works fine, But I need to have a cart page based on client needs.

Accepted Solutions (2)
Darren_Wordley
Tourist
4 1 1

This is an accepted solution.

Can everyone check their browsers now as this error has been resolve for me, i am no longer experiencing the problem with safari / apple devices.

I made no changes to my website but did receive this email below from shopify support this afternoon.

Hey there,

Ashley here from the Support Advisor Team!

I am so sorry to hear about the troubles you've been experiencing. There have been a significant number of reports that merchants are finding the cart page empty when attempting to checkout on Safari or mobile iOS. We've determined this is caused by third-party apps which edits the storefront (especially the cart page). Any storefront app that tries to use assets from the store's MyShopify domain instead of its custom domain will have this issue.

I would suggest to try disabling each app, one by one, to test and see which app is causing the issue. If you have any apps installed that make any edits to the storefront, these are the ones you'll want to test by disabling to locate the one causing the issue. You can learn how to do this by following the app developers instructions in their FAQ/Help guides. Those can be found both inside the app and on the app page where you had installed from in the app store

The problem can also be caused by old apps that have already been uninstalled, but which have left code behind. To rectify this, you would want to follow the un-installation instructions for apps you may have recently deleted without disabling first.

Developers are currently working to mitigate the problem within our platform and we should see a resolution to this issue soon.

I hope this helps! If there’s any other aspect of the business you'd like a hand with please don’t hesitate to reach out

Ashley M.
Shopify Support Advisor

View solution in original post

brendoncrouch
Tourist
4 1 2

Hey Darren,

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Finally I was able to resolve the issue. It was actually being caused by an app that was previously installed by the client, it injected code into the theme files, and then at some point in time the app was uninstalled without removing the code that was injected. For me it was Geo Shipping Bar app.

And this was the injected script line causing all the issue, found in theme.liquid:

<script id='geoshippingbarscript' mlveda='{{Shopdomain}}' src='https://sokoandco.myshopify.com/apps/GeoShippingBar/GeoShipingBarProxy.js'></script>

Hope thats helps.

Cheers!

View solution in original post

Replies 25 (25)

Not applicable

Hi @brendoncrouch 

Welcome to Shopify Community. 

Aibek is here from Speedimize.io agency. 

Can you please share with us the URL of your shop? So we can check this and find out what exactly happens.

Hope for your cooperation. 

Kind Regards. 

brendoncrouch
Tourist
4 1 2

Hey, thanks for responding. Here is the link to my store https://soko.com.au

Not applicable

Hey @brendoncrouch 

We sat for a long time digging, but unfortunately, dev tools for Safari are not as cool as Chrome. The problem is clearly in the JS files. Since we disabled all js and products from the basket stopped being deleted.
The problem may be due to the apps. Do you have installed apps that affect the shopping cart in one way or another? We found out that you have a Carti app. We advise you to experiment and try to temporarily disable such apps and check whether the products are removed from the basket. In one of these apps, there is functionality that is not supported by Safari. If you suddenly find out, it is better to contact the developers of the device.

It is possible that you have recently made customization regarding the cart page. If no changes were made, then the problem is in the apps.

Try to do as we said, it should solve your problem. If everything works out, then let us know.

I think it will be useful for everyone in the future.

brendoncrouch
Tourist
4 1 2

Thanks for the response.

I've tried disabling each script & app, but still no luck, Yes if I disable javascript completely from the browser, it works fine, but then I don't know if its because of the apps or my js files from the theme or it is something from shopify itself.

One weird thing though, when I try to visit website in private/incognito mode without disabling any app/script, everything works absolutely fine. What's the different between normal mode and the private/incognito mode other than just cache?

Darren_Wordley
Tourist
4 1 1

Yes you are right, when you open up a browser in private/incognito mode everything works as normal.

So what needs to change Shopify??

SergeySova
Visitor
1 0 0

Did Someone get any luck with this? I'm facing the same issue

Jurij
Tourist
13 0 1

Sergey,

It looks like working now. Had a few customers still not bale to purchase, but majority of the customers have no problems for now. 

Received an email from Shopify stating the following ''Our developers are working hard to try and resolve it, but we currently do not have a time line for when that will be.

The issue seems to relate to apps that affect the store front and cart, and the current suggestion is to disable any that do''

So hopefully it will be resolved permanently soon.  Best wishes to everyone affected! 

David28
Explorer
90 0 20

Hi. You are not the only one with this issue!

I don't think it's being caused by apps or anything we've done as we've made no changes recently. There may be something wrong with shopify's checkout code that only affects a few sites.

Darren_Wordley
Tourist
4 1 1

We are experiencing the same problem.

All customer shopping using the Safari app on Iphones, Ipads, Macs ect cannot checkout. We have tested this ourself seen all apple devices are the same.

Anything placed in the cart just disappears.

We have made no changes to our theme

David28
Explorer
90 0 20

We definitely see the issue happen on Apple devices on several browsers. Also happens on Firefox browser on computer or mobile. Have tried disabling apps but nothing has worked. Have heard nothing back from Shopify despite the urgency of the problem. Still losing orders.

MysticalQuartz
Excursionist
12 1 2

Have the same Issue over here. Not working on Firefox or IOS devices. Such a pain! My CR is falling down cause oh this!!!!!

Please Shopify team provide us a solution to this matter fast.

This is a big disaster.

Right now we are paying you to lost orders and its seems you don't realize how big is this dissaster. 

David28
Explorer
90 0 20

Yes, I've lost more orders today. Shopify have told me that in their opinion it's being caused by my app 'Infinite Options' (a product customisation app) , but I've tried disabling it and the issue persists. I've even tried temporarily publishing a really old version of my store from a couple of years ago and the issue still happens!

Karine_Paquet
Tourist
25 0 1

Same here with my 2 online stores !!  And this is not the first time that this has happened, so this is discouraging.

Please Shopify, we would like to know what is going on and we need this to be corrected ASAP. Thanks !

David28
Explorer
90 0 20

Karine, when it happened before in the past, did Shopify fix something for you to make the issue go away, or did it just clear up itself?

Karine_Paquet
Tourist
25 0 1

I had read a post from a few months ago that said that it could be caused by a conflit when you use a multi-currency app when the multi-currency feature was enable in Shopify.  So I just deleted that app.  But my sales have suffered greatly since enabling the multi currency, so now I have wondered if it was that. But it seems that there are multiple reasons, so now I have no idea, alhtought it was mentioned above that the Infinite app can be the culprit and  I do have the Infinite app installed on both store, so I will have to see if that is the cause.

Jurij
Tourist
13 0 1

Karine, we tried to disable multi-currency convertor, it did not fix the problem. So looks like this is not related. 

After reading all the comments, it looks for me that the issue is in cart page coding, whenever it causing: apps, Theme or in Shopify itself.  

Karine_Paquet
Tourist
25 0 1

For me, the problem seems corrected.

David28
Explorer
90 0 20

Yes, it's working at the moment. I have had an email from Shopify technical team saying that's it's only a temporary fix and they are still saying it's the fault of the apps. So I'm not sure what will happen next. Hope that helps.

Jurij
Tourist
13 0 1

We having the same issue. 

Tried to Google to see if something happened in the past, however, have not found anything useful/giving any sort of solution. 

Darren_Wordley
Tourist
4 1 1

Can everyone check their browsers now as this error has been resolve for me, i am no longer experiencing the problem with safari / apple devices.

I made no changes to my website but did receive this email below from shopify support this afternoon.

Hey there,

Ashley here from the Support Advisor Team!

I am so sorry to hear about the troubles you've been experiencing. There have been a significant number of reports that merchants are finding the cart page empty when attempting to checkout on Safari or mobile iOS. We've determined this is caused by third-party apps which edits the storefront (especially the cart page). Any storefront app that tries to use assets from the store's MyShopify domain instead of its custom domain will have this issue.

I would suggest to try disabling each app, one by one, to test and see which app is causing the issue. If you have any apps installed that make any edits to the storefront, these are the ones you'll want to test by disabling to locate the one causing the issue. You can learn how to do this by following the app developers instructions in their FAQ/Help guides. Those can be found both inside the app and on the app page where you had installed from in the app store

The problem can also be caused by old apps that have already been uninstalled, but which have left code behind. To rectify this, you would want to follow the un-installation instructions for apps you may have recently deleted without disabling first.

Developers are currently working to mitigate the problem within our platform and we should see a resolution to this issue soon.

I hope this helps! If there’s any other aspect of the business you'd like a hand with please don’t hesitate to reach out

Ashley M.
Shopify Support Advisor

David28
Explorer
90 0 20

Glad to hear you got it fixed Darren. No luck here sadly. Issue still persists even after disabling apps one-by-one and checking all code etc. Several more people have now reported the same issue so it seems to be a wider problem with Shopify platform.

SweetPaws_Steph
Visitor
2 0 0

Thanks Darren! The issue appears to be fixed for me and I didn't do anything but test without making any changes or disabling any apps after seeing your reply. I'll keep watch though to see if the problem arises again for me. It seems weird that it's suddenly fixed (just as it seemed to have suddenly arisen). It looks like Shopify said they are working to mitigate the issue but it would be nice to know for certain that it is actually something they are doing on their end to fix it since it is still not fixed for everyone.

brendoncrouch
Tourist
4 1 2

Hey Darren,

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Finally I was able to resolve the issue. It was actually being caused by an app that was previously installed by the client, it injected code into the theme files, and then at some point in time the app was uninstalled without removing the code that was injected. For me it was Geo Shipping Bar app.

And this was the injected script line causing all the issue, found in theme.liquid:

<script id='geoshippingbarscript' mlveda='{{Shopdomain}}' src='https://sokoandco.myshopify.com/apps/GeoShippingBar/GeoShipingBarProxy.js'></script>

Hope thats helps.

Cheers!

Eric_UAT
Visitor
1 0 0

Anyone still encountering this issue? Experiencing the same thing... deleted all apps manually and still experiencing issues.

jared-cohen
Visitor
2 0 0

I am still having same issue

I have built a custom php checkout page and getting product details from cart page via an API
other than safari its working fine on all browsers, have tried multiple CSS options, also tried disabling apps one by one, and the theme.liquid code..... but no luck

anybody can suggest?