Exporting Images from the Settings > Files Library

DevelopmentGuy
1 0 0

It's because they want the merchant to purchase a $2K/mo plan in order to create a sandboxed site. 

0 Likes
CynthiaESJ
2 0 0

Oh my gosh! I just figured out this functionality doesn't exist and I'm shocked! 

You wanted a business reason - here are a couple:

1) some of us have subdomains sites that need to use the same images so we need to be able to download OUR assets and re-upload them to our new Shopify site.

2) I personally have a second store with a new brand name that needs all of my image assets from my first store. I already had to pay for a third party app to download my entire store since Shopify doesn't give us that functionality either(!). So I'm paying for that and now I just figure out that my image assets are all still linked to my first store. 

It is clear that we should all be able to download our own assets. I just gave two valid reasons for needing this functionality using Shopify stores. 

Of course, Shopify does not want to make it easy to move to another platform, so there is also the business reason of leaving Shopify and wanting all of your Shopify store content to use on a different platform. But I know Shopify isn't going to give a solution for that! I don't need that, but I DO NEED the my own assets to upload on to my other Shopify store.

I can't believe this functionality still doesn't exist in 2021!! 

c-

0 Likes
Rita2021
1 0 1

We are a statewide organization with chapters across the state. For various reasons we chose not to go with multiple stores in Shopify. We chose to have a different store for each chapter. The largest chapter has uploaded almost all the products and images without pricing and inventory.  We are using the export of this as the basis or all the other stores.  BUT THE IMAGES DO NOT DOWNLOAD. We need to download the handle for each product and the images associated with it.  Alternatively, we need the Export Products to contain the links to the images and allow our other stores access those images.

CynthiaESJ
2 0 0

Hi Rita, 

I feel your pain! 

Although this is something Shopify MUST FIX for us, I wanted to point you towards an app that at the least will get you what you say you need - Excelify (on the app store or at Excelify.io). I've used it several times and am currently using it again. It will download all the product info that you cannot get from Shopify. That will include URLs to the images for your products, but realize that the URLs will all point to the store you exported them from. Sounds like that will be ok for what you are doing, since you say you have one store with the "master" product list on it. So as long as that store stay live, the URLs you use on the other stores will work for you. 

Right now, that's exactly what I just did for store #3 I am setting up. It works fine, my site #3 is up and the products are all as expected - using the image URLs for the images that still live on store #1. The problem is that I will be closing down store #1, so I can't just leave my image assets at the URLs associated with that store. But there is no way from Shopify to get my images migrated physically over to my new store #3 (also on Shopify). This is unacceptable and Shopify needs to fix it.

Anyway, thought I'd post this in case it will help your specific need. Good luck!

cheers,

c-

0 Likes
PurpleMamba
Shopify Partner
93 1 9

@DevelopmentGuy wrote:

It's because they want the merchant to purchase a $2K/mo plan in order to create a sandboxed site. 

Even then you can't export the files.

Josh_Poole
1 0 3

It is sad that Shopify still does not have this basic functionality. Very disappointing 

DazC
Tourist
3 0 5

We just used Rewind (paid app) to create a clone of one of our Shopify stores, to set it up in a different region, only to find that it doesn't copy the stuff from "Settings -> Files".

We haven't even got the store logos in the Theme Customiser because, you guessed it, this pulls from the Library that is "Settings -> Files".

Not only does "Settings -> Files" not have any kind of mass export or import available, there is also no API to interact with it.  As far as I can see all of the video, PDFs, and other assets that we would need on the duplicated store would all have to be scraped by hand, and then uploaded one by one to the new store.

Surely in 2021 this isn't actually what we have to do, is it?

We are on the $2k+ a month Shopify Plus plan and don't even have this basic functionality.  It's madness.

garrinevan
Tourist
3 0 0

This sucks. Shopify, figure this out asap.

0 Likes
garrinevan
Tourist
3 0 0

Agreed. This is incredibly disappointing.

0 Likes
kevinurb
1 0 1

Important to add. As it looks like based on the latest change to the Settings Files UI, the script workaround do not work anymore.