[Feature request] Overwrite existing images and files with new ones, while keeping the same URL

charhew
Shopify Partner
21 0 57

The file manager (Settings >> Files) needs a way to overwrite existing files.

Our store has 3,600 product images and about 50 PDFs. About once a month, we take updated product photos to replace the old ones. We update about 30 photos each time. However, when uploading these new images, Shopify adds 32 characters to the end of the URL:

Before: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0251/9964/0648/files/mx_6053-40led-1.jpg

After: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0251/9964/0648/files/mx_6053-40led-1_a5e9a298-9912-4a3a-b80a-9bcfb... 

This is really frustrating because the only workaround is to search each filename manually, delete them one at a time, then upload the new images. Imagine doing this for 30 images!

The other workaround is to select ALL my files (about 4,000 in total including logos, banners, and other images), delete ALL of them, then reupload ALL of them. This is a lot of work for just wanting to update 30 images. And sometimes, this workaround doesn't even work (it adds the 32 extra characters anyways).

Looking around on this forum, I can see that this has been an issue for at least 6 years because I have seen very old posts of customers complaining about the same issue. It would be incredible if file replacing was made easier in the future, and I'm hoping this post can be my grain of sand to help push to getting this feature implemented.

A bonus would be the ability to arrange files into folders, or perhaps allow us to upload and manage files using FTP.

Also, this may just be a semantics thing, but it surprises me that Files is considered a "Setting" when really it should be a basic part of managing an online store.

Thanks! 🙂

Replies 14 (14)

Omnia-Anne
Visitor
1 0 5

I was surprised that one couldn’t upload new image & maintain url - so all locations linked to the file - would simply update. Same use like you!

anne

rnoack1
Tourist
7 0 13

If you have fewer than 10 images per product you can add/remove photos via the Vela app (getvela.com, it's free), however, it relies on the sequence of the images for replacements so if the image you're updating isn't always, say, in position 3, you will still be poking at things manually. I am not at all suggesting that this feature request is not necessary -- it is!!-- but this workaround may be helpful if you're limping along in the meantime. 

KmBerggren
Tourist
7 0 3

hi! I'm wondering if you figured out how to do this? I don't even know how to put an image in my CDN.Shopify folder - I have just one image to replace on each product (400 products) and would love to just drop it into the CDN and have it override the old one. Versus having to go product by product and replace it.

I was wondering if you had discovered a solution? Or if you had any advice for me.

You mention "to search each filename manually, delete them one at a time, then upload the new image" and that could work for me since it's just one image, but I've been searching and talking to Shopify help, without any luck.

Thanks so much in advance!

Sincerely, Katie

charhew
Shopify Partner
21 0 57
Hi Katie!

Go to Settings>> Files, then in the search bar, type the name of the file.
When you find it, delete it. Then upload the new version 🙂
KmBerggren
Tourist
7 0 3

thanks for writing back!

Unfortunately, the original is not a file that I added. It's a file that I migrated over using LitExtension from Volusion, so the file path of the one I want to replace is:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0507/2660/0860/t/6/assets/SizeImageSquares-ForShop-1500.jpg

and when I upload the image to the Settings - Files section, this is the path:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0507/2660/0860/files/SizeImageSquares-ForShop-1500.jpg?v=160798092...

pretty close! But I need to get into the /assets folder somehow and I don't know how to do that.

"t/6/assets/" vs "files/"

Any thoughts? Do you think that hiring a Shopify Expert would be a good path for me?

Thank you!!
Sincerely, Katie

InfinityLabels
Visitor
2 0 2

That does not work these days.

Shopify adds a string at the end of the name of each image placement so you have to manually change EVERY image:(

flowerjen
Tourist
8 0 13

Pretty basic functionality. 

AS A Shopify Site Owner I WANT TO BE ABLE TO copy files to my site, put them where I want them, and have them named as I specify SO THAT I can manage my online presence without spending hours deleting files that have been updated.

GIVEN THAT media assets are the single most important customer facing feature in my shop
WHEN I want to add fresh new content that keeps customer engaged and returning to my store
THEN Shopify does not PREVENT me from keeping my content fresh, they make it EASY to replace existing content files with new ones automatically

JDBaum42
Visitor
2 0 5

We need the ability to overwrite files. I'm shocked this even has to be a request, much less that it's 2 years old and seemingly hasn't been addressed at all.

JDBaum42
Visitor
2 0 5

It looks like a version of this functionality has been added. In the Content>files area, there's now a replace file option in the kebab menu. So you can replace an existing image with another. There's also an option to rename the file (is that new too?).
What they DON'T have is a way to load an image, say on a PDP or theme editor, and overwrite the file if you load it with the same name. SO CLOSE, GUYS! 

I'm not sure I'll use this much as is, kinda putzy to jump over to Files and then have to search for the image you need.

Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 12.02.13 PM.jpg

Paul-Trott
Shopify Partner
2 0 2

I have a similar related issue. We publish images to shopify from the Salsify PIM system. I have an image transformation formula on the channel mapping to downsize the image to a certain spec when it’s pushed to shopify. I have changed that transformation to improve load speed, but the newly formatted images are not overwriting the old ones, despite the channel mapping being set to ‘replace’ images rather than append. I assume that because the image source url is the same, shopify doesn’t see it as a new image and doesn’t overwrite the existing one. Any ideas? 

jhope
Visitor
1 0 0

I have this same set up - any luck on a fix? 

Paul-Trott
Shopify Partner
2 0 2

So far, no, unfortunately. 

LazyCoder
Shopify Partner
12 0 7

Did folks find a way around? I’m looking into this for someone and have had no luck on the Shopify app store.

If I have to write something custom for the store I’m working with, I could look into making it a generic app. If you’re interested, drop me a message / like this reply.

LazyCoder
Shopify Partner
12 0 7

I decided to build a simple file manager that supports directories, maintaining file names and searchability. If you're interested, you can sign up here - https://simplefilemanager.torcellite.com/