Google/Bing Indexing Issue

Solved
Roy96
Tourist
8 0 0

Hey guys,

I wrote the first blog post for my Shopify store. Now I tried to get it indexed by Google/Bing to show up in the search results.

So far without success. The only pages that are indexed by Google, when I search for "site:url" are my Homepage, 2 Collection pages and 1 Product page.

What I have done so far:

- Setup Google Search Console (GSC)

- Verified website ownership in GSC

- Submitted the sitemap of the store in GSC

- Submitted the URLs for indexing in the GSC

As nothing of the above worked so far I tried to get my website/posts indexed by Bing, also to check if it's an issue on my end or an issue of Google.

I was able to get the domain (homepage) of the store indexed by Bing, but when I tried submitting my blog post for example it doesn't show up.

Does anyone know what the issue could be here?

Help is very much appreciated as I'm trying to get it to work since 5 days straight, I tried so many different things.

Best,

Roy

0 Likes

Can you share your blog post URL?

• If the problem is solved remember to click ✅ to Accept Solution
• Press Like, if the answer was helpful
• Shopify/Shopify Plus custom development, optimization and consulting. You can hire me here.

This is an accepted solution.

It seems everything ok, but I see that at the moment only few page are indexed.

If you already submitted your sitemap to GSC correctly and you also submitted the URL to GSC manually to force the crawling, you need just to wait a little more.

I also see that you have FB page and and IG page where you linked the blog URL, that's a nice move.

If you want a trick that sometime help to speed up, create a Google Ads branded campaign of few bucks that point to your website and define some additional pages like Blog, Products etc as sitelinks.

• Shopify/Shopify Plus custom development, optimization and consulting. You can hire me here.
Roy96
Tourist
8 0 0

Hey @drakedev,

Thanks for the tip! Pretty smart!

I have created some Google ads campaigns in the past, so I assume the strategy is to force the indexing as Google needs to review the sitelink extensions before we can use them?

Do I need to create a sitelink extension for every page everytime I want it to be indexed? Or is it enough to put the categories/menu items (where the pages are listed that I want to index) into the sitelink extensions, so Google will index all of my pages faster in general?

And when my assumption is true that the review of the sitelink will get the page indexed, do I even need to run the campaign? As the review is done before I can run the ad with those sitelinks

Thanks in advance!

And thanks again for this hack, never heard that before but absolutely makes sense!

0 Likes

Hi Roy,

I would just link the main URL at the top of your structure, those in the menu should be enough.

Regarding the need or not to start the campaign I am not sure.

When I did it few times I always started it and I always got a faster indexing. I am not even assure you that is working right now, it's a while since I did it last time.

Roy96
Tourist
8 0 0

Okay, thanks a lot - I will make my tests and report back!

So you would say when you just put the "blog" menu item in your ad as a sitelink it influenced the whole section/blog regarding indexing?

0 Likes

Yep, because Google Ads Bot will carefully analyze the page, and for sure will follow the link to check what's there.

Let me know if it works, it would be helpful to know.

Roy96
Tourist
8 0 0

Does the google bot check the websites content regularly? Not just in the beginning when approving the ads/sitelinks?

Yesterday I've setup the campaign with the sitelinks and the sitelink pointing to my blog got approved today.

But the it's not indexing yet. In fact, when I type in site:url nothing changed. The search results (4) are the same since a few weeks now.

So I went into the search console again and made a live url test and requested indexing again.

By doing that I saw some errors in the tested page report.

Could it be that I have an issue with the robots.txt file or are there always some elements that aren't and shouldn't be crawled by the google bot?

Shopify Forum Google Indexing (1).PNGShopify Forum Google Indexing (2).PNGShopify Forum Google Indexing (3).PNG 

0 Likes
Roy96
Tourist
8 0 0

Okay, it seems there is some new information in the google search console that I haven't seen before.

I will attach a few more screenshots, maybe now you see what the issue is?

There was a message saying that the pages got crawled but weren't indexed on purpose or something along those lines.

Google also has a informational page containing a few possibilities, but there are many so I don't know.

Shopify Forum Google Indexing (4).PNGShopify Forum Google Indexing (5).PNGShopify Forum Google Indexing (6).PNG

0 Likes