Google Pagespeed ranking concerns

2 0 0

Hi all.

I'm in the process of optimising my site and have been receiving some poor speed rankings from the Google tool.

What confuses me is the difference between desktop and mobile. Desktop score os often between 85-95 and mobile is 34-55. Obviously that needs to be better.

In some of the flagged areas, of worst performance, I can see reference to the Shopify CDN.

How do I influence that?

I see mention of using lazy loading - My theme 'Turbo' from Out of Sandbox uses lazy loading apparently.

How to I eliminate render blocking resources?

Time to interactive seems very long at 8.5s but there are no suggestions to fix.

I do have a strange app issue where a couple of deleted apps have left code behind. One was a cookie banner and I can't remember the name of it. How do I find that rogue code? And also there seems to be some code from a deleted Bold app that is chewing through a lot of time etc. I need to somehow remover that code.

I'm guessing many of you out there have been battling with some of the same issues so I'd really appreciate any help and advice. Thanks!

Screenshot 2019-11-15 at 08.21.52.pngScreenshot 2019-11-15 at 08.21.34.pngScreenshot 2019-11-15 at 08.20.36.pngScreenshot 2019-11-15 at 08.19.17.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
25 2 4

Hi, there is a long and somewhat helpful article by Shopify that touches on a few of your questions.

Wrt this question:

Time to interactive seems very long at 8.5s but there are no suggestions to fix.

I think section #6 of the article could maybe be relevant: Beware of excessive Liquid loops

"Forloop iteration is one of those instances. Forloop means the system has to loop (e.g., crawl, or search through) all the products in a collection and happens when it’s looking for a specific condition (e.g. price, or a tag). If you have a large product catalog, looping will take a long time."

The longer looping takes, the longer it will take for the page to render and be interactive.

Hope that helps a little

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
344 24 62

Most sites with 3rd party apps score low with the Google PSI tool.

I would try and optimize as much as you can, but don't worry about the score. It doesn't actually relate to speed (I did a case study where making a site faster actually lowered the score - speedboostr.com/case-study-google-psi).

I like PSI for some projects, but for Shopify specifically these are the tools I use:

- Shopify Analyzer analyze.speedboostr.com (for seeing what can be optimized on a Shopify site)

- WebPageTest.org (for getting a pretty accurate reading of website speed, and using as a before/after benchmark when doing optimization work).

To answer your questions:

I see mention of using lazy loading - My theme 'Turbo' from Out of Sandbox uses lazy loading apparently.

Turbo is a great theme, and they have lazy loading but they use "placeholder lazy loading" instead of "true lazy loading". The theme loads a small placeholder image instead of no image. I prefer true lazy loading, but some people prefer placeholders.

To fix that, you can remove the src attributes from the image elements in your theme code.

You can eliminate render blocking resources by moving those resources further down the page pipeline. This isn't always a good idea, just a general recommendation for performance. You might not be able to or want to do this, but you can test out on a test theme, by moving resources around in your theme.liquid file.

I do have a strange app issue where a couple of deleted apps have left code behind. One was a cookie banner and I can't remember the name of it. How do I find that rogue code? And also there seems to be some code from a deleted Bold app that is chewing through a lot of time etc. I need to somehow remover that code.

This is pretty common. Typically you'll find old app code in your theme.liquid file. Where I usually start is using the Shopify Analyzer tool I mentioned and looking at the domains section, then comparing that with your actual apps. If you see domains loading from apps you don't have, that code is getting loaded somewhere (usually theme.liquid).

If you want to get deep into Shopify optimization, I wrote a complete guide here: https://speedboostr.com/shopify-optimization/

One last note, with any performance analysis tool they are meant as general recommendations, not as an absolute score to achieve. 3rd party apps contribute to page load and might trigger warnings, but they are there to help you achieve more sales and create a great user experience.

Founder of Speed Boostr (Shopify optimization and dev agency).
Creator of Order Automator (app that auto fulfills orders, adds tags, emails).
Creator of Shopify Analyzer (free performance analysis tool).
I also build custom apps and automated solutions.
Enjoy the adventure!
0 Likes